Quick Drop Enthusiasts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clean. Save. Close. A simple but essential shortcut.

Hi QuickDrop Enthusiasts,

I've found when coding in LabVIEW, I use the shortcut Ctrl + F very frequently but the process of cleaning up, saving and then closing a VI to be a bit tedious.

[Ctrl + Space, Ctrl + F, Ctrl + E, Ctrl + Space, Ctrl + F, Ctrl + E, Ctrl + S, Ctrl + W]

To remedy this crime to my fingers, I've created 3 functions:

1 - Clean: Ctrl + Space, Ctrl + C will shrink the Front Panel and Block Diagram windows to the minimum size. It will also map the controls on the Front Panel to match the connector pane. All block diagram icons will become terminals.

2 - CleanSave: Ctrl + Space, Ctrl + S will apply the "Clean" function and also save the program.

3 - CleanSaveClose: Ctrl + Space, Ctrl + Shift + S will apply the "CleanSave" function and then close the VI.

Note: For all functions, typing [fp] (with or without uppercase or with spaces) will exclude the front panel from the effects.

Note: For all functions, typing [bd] (with or without uppercase or with spaces) will exclude the block diagram from the effects.

This builds heavily off work done by Darren for the Nattify library - kudos!

While this isn't a revolutionary or flashy add-on, it has become a staple I cannot do without (having used it for a few months now). It is compatible with LV2014 or higher and comes with an installer (.exe) included in a .zip file.

After installation, open your LabVIEW version and execute the QD command. The code will need to compile if you are using a version higher than 2014. This will pause LabVIEW for a min or two. Once compiled, it will execute the command. All future runs will have no issues.

CleanSaveClose.jpg

Please let me know if you run into issues or have any suggestions. This is my first LabVIEW QD Shortcut, so I welcome feedback!

/Chris

Message 1 of 2
(1,403 Views)

EXE installer does not currently detect LabVIEW 64 bit versions but still works for these versions.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(972 Views)