From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Power Electronics Development Center

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide to Power Electronics Control Application Examples and IP Cores for NI GPIC

March 16, 2016

The master library of examples and IP has just been updated. The download link is the same. The old version is archived here.

The new version includes:

• FPGA Proportional Resonant with Phase Compensation and Harmonic Elimination (C:\LabVIEW 2015\GPIC\GPIC Grid Active Front End\SubVIs\[FPGA] Grid Tied Single Phase Inverter Controller with Harmonic Compensation v06.vi)
  • FPGA Harmonic Level Detection and Harmonic Waveform Extraction (C:\LabVIEW 2015\GPIC\GPIC Grid Active Front End\SubVIs\[FPGA] Grid Tied Single Phase Inverter Controller with Harmonic Compensation v06.vi)
  • FPGA Three-Phase True RMS Power Analysis with Line-to-Line to Line-to-Neutral Converter (C:\LabVIEW 2015\GPIC\GPIC Grid Active Front End\[FPGA] Grid Tied AFE Control with FRF Stability Analysis.vi)
  • FPGA Small Signal Injection for Control Loop Gain Margin and Phase Margin Stability Analysis (C:\LabVIEW 2015\GPIC\GPIC Grid Active Front End\[FPGA] Induction Motor Volt-Hertz Control with Current Limiting.vi)
  • Discrete Integrator Backward Euler and Trapezoidal Methods for IP Builder (C:\LabVIEW 2015\IP Cores\IP Cores - LabVIEW FPGA\HIL Solver\[FPGA] DiscreteIntegrator Trapezoidal Multichannel IP Builder.vi)
  • FPGA LR filter transfer function observer (C:\LabVIEW 2015\IP Cores\IP Cores - LabVIEW FPGA\Analysis\[FPGA] LR Filter (FLOAT) 01.vi), new FPGA Timekeeper code for digitally phase locked control systems (C:\LabVIEW 2015\TimeKeeper)
  • FPGA Transmission Line Delay Simulator (C:\LabVIEW 2015\IP Cores\IP Cores - LabVIEW FPGA\Floating Point\Variable Depth FIFO.vi)
  • FPGA Inverse Notch Filter (C:\LabVIEW 2015\IP Cores\IP Cores - LabVIEW FPGA\Control & Signal Gen\[FPGA] Inverse Notch Filter Multichannel - dt = 50 us (2000 Ticks) 04.vi)
  • FPGA Thermocouple Scaling (C:\LabVIEW 2015\IP Cores\IP Cores - LabVIEW FPGA\Sensor IF\[FPGA] K Thermocouple Scaling.vi)
  • FPGA Integer Divider Remainder/Fraction functions for 64 bit integers (C:\LabVIEW 2015\IP Cores\IP Cores - LabVIEW FPGA\Math)

We hope you will help us test and improve the new IP cores and examples, and their documentation.

Note that the Real-Time processor portion of the GPIC Reference Design Code for sbRIO-9607 GPIC is currently under development.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 33
(6,339 Views)

Hi,

I am trying to downconvert this code(specifically the GPIC project) into LabVIEW 2012 version but I am hitting a lot of roadblocks(VI missing, bitfile missing and password protected StarSim VIs).

Is there a way in which I can compile this code and use it in LabVIEW 2012?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 33
(6,339 Views)

Hello sir,

First thanks for sharing this material! Now I'm doing somthing about FPGA-based Real-Time Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation and Rapid Prototyping of Power Electronics,so I used  this example to learn how to build a complete project and a project how to work .but when I tried to workout this coding it couldn't work and showd many errors. Could you plesae tell me where I can find this complete code or send this coding to wcq214212@163.com.I will very appreciate it.

Thanks for your reference!

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 33
(6,340 Views)

Hi BMac,

My project is for controlling of three phase NPC multilevel grid connected inverter, so could you please give me piece of advice about the minimum of The Third-Party Add-Ons which are necessary for my project. Do I really need to buy the StarSim Control IP Toolkit? Could I create that project by using only resources from NI for GPIC 9606?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 33
(6,340 Views)

Hi BMac,

When I make a Half-Bridge Buck-Boost circuit in Multisim, I could not find components named: VARICOIL and R_LESR VARIRES as shown in this figure below

Half Bridge Buck-boost.png

This figure is from the example project "GPICBuckBoost2014". Could you please tell me how to create that kind of component in Multisim.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 33
(6,340 Views)

In Multisim, you can find versions of the variable (voltage controlled) inductor, capacitor, resistor components in two different places.

1. Right-click on a blank area of the circuit schematic and go to Place Component. Then navigate to Power>BASSO_SMPS_AUXILIARY>VARICOIL.

8-8-2016 10-40-55 AM.jpg

2. Or navigate to BASIC>BASIC VIRTUAL>VOLTAGE_CONTROLLED_INDUCTOR_VIRTUAL.

8-8-2016 10-43-21 AM.jpg

3. Also, keep in mind that there is a component search function.

8-8-2016 10-46-14 AM.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 33
(6,340 Views)

Hi!

Now I'm doing a real-time simulation of single-phase inverter project, I want to konw if I can complete this project only with NI-PXI and some softwares(labview,multisim).If can,Could you give me some suggestion about how to do with it? If can't,Could you tell what kind of software and hardware I need and suggest a way to do a real-time simulation of single-phase inverter ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 33
(6,339 Views)

Thanks BMac! I got all of them for my own circuit.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 33
(6,339 Views)

Regarding real-time simulation of a single-phase inverter, there are a number of choices available. Here are two commercially available tools that run on NI FPGA targets such as NI CompactRIO and NI PXI FlexRIO.

1.  StarSim FPGA Express Power Electronics Simulation Tool with Circuit Editor

2. OPAL-RT eHS Power Electronics Simulation Tool (for CompactRIO cRIO-9068 for CompactRIO cRIO-9039)

If you prefer a DIY approach, let me know and I'll share some instructions and references to available IP cores.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 33
(6,339 Views)

Thanks for your help! Now If I use PXI-7854R as an inverter controller,I want use a software to simulate inverter circuit,I want to know if there is another software I can use to  complete this simulation if I don't use  StarSim FPGA Express Power Electronics Simulation Tools with Circuit Editor. Now I have PXI-1082,PXI-8135,PXI-7854R,ComPactRIO 9066,Can I use them complete this simulation.

Dear BMac,If This Video FPGA-based real-time hardware-in-the-loop simulation an rapid prototyping of power electronics can't watch,I can't open this video.If there are somewhere I can find this video?

If I use Veristand, simulink ,visual C++,PXI-7854R,Do you think about this way?

Could you give me some advice and solution?  

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 33
(6,339 Views)