Power Electronics Development Center

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication between two RT-targets

Hi all,

I need to setup a network stream between two RT targets one of which could be the GPIC.

Does anyone here in the Power Elec. community have any experience with setting up reliable communicatoins between two RT targets over the internet (maybe using TCP/IP or something like that). The general idea is to stream the phasor data from a PMU to a local converter controller in order to explore possible applications.

I would appreciate any leads on this topic.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,126 Views)

For streaming of waveform data between RT targets, the Network Streams API in LabVIEW works very well. Here is a white paper on how to use it.

Lossless Communication with Network Streams: Components, Architecture, and Performance

For single-point data communication (i.e. setpoints, commands, configuration, etc.) between distributed embedded systems, the Simple Messaging Reference Library (STM) API is recommended.

NI Simple Messaging (STM) Reference Library

Both of these protocols can be used for communication between distributed real-time embedded targets, and/or between the targets and a desktop host application. It's also common to use them in combination-- Network Streams for streaming of waveform data and Simple Messaging for single-point communication.

Below is a block diagram showing the typical hardware/software architecture for power converter control cabinets based on the sbRIO General Purpose Inverter Controller (GPIC). It's common to use Network Streams and Simple Messaging protocols for the communication with the Design Team or Customer Remote System Management Tool (top left) and with External Controllers (top right) such as other sbRIO GPIC or CompactRIO control systems or other custom boards, for either supervisory control of the GPIC or coordination of control action among GPICs (i.e. load sharing/balancing).

GPIC typical HW-SW architecture.jpg

You might also be interested in the NI Replication and Deployment (RAD) Utility, which enables you to remotely update the embedded software on the sbRIO GPIC control system, or burn the same image onto multiple GPICs during your cabinet production assembly.

Replication and Deployment (RAD) Utility

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,632 Views)

If you need to exchange data with a PMU you should consider the IEEE 37.118 communication VIs.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/373375D-01/lvept/2011_pmu_build_data/

Message 3 of 4
(3,632 Views)

Hello Richard,

Thanks. That is an excellent start for me.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,632 Views)