From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.net framework

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to understand the .net framework concept wrt National's Products.  It sounds like its a Microsoft application that allows 3rd parties to load their software seamlessly on Windows.  Then I searched National discussions grp and people were using it w DLL's??  Right now all I need to know..I think.. is if I have a Developemental Test Set w a PXI 1062/PXI8101, 2564,6230 etc. running LV2012 Windows 7 and I create an exe and an installer do I need .net framework on my target if it has the same HWD from National????

All my testsets are NOT connected to the web and one KB said I have to have the latest SP's or .net may not work.

My develope station does have it.  It may have been instaleed w something else and I don't even know if I need it.  Read it takes up a lot of disk space.  Plus that would mean I would have to some how include it on my installer CD...and I THINK you have to re-boot before it takes effect.

Comments??  Do I need it or just load it as a precautionary ??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,424 Views)

Hi Clint,

The .NET framework is not necessary to have on your installer, but is useful if you are accessing Windows Services like Performance Monitor etc. Are you trying use any .NET programming to control your setup? If you do want to include the .NET framework in your installer, you can follow the instructions in the KnowledgeBase article I have linked below. You will not need to have internet access on all your systems, you will just need to download the .NET framework on your development system and include it on the installer. 

How Do I Add the .NET Framework to My LabVIEW Installer? http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/51698977FC8DA9E48625760E00689C5E?OpenDocument

If you want to learn more about the .NET framework, you can visit this link here.

Best Regards,

Anna L

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,400 Views)

So I don't know if that added to the confusion or help...but thanks.

In paragraph #1 of your link it says:

The .NET Framework consists of framework base classes that are extended to support the Web Services, Web Forms, and Windows Forms technologies.  I don't use Web Services, Web Forms and don't know what "windows forms technologies." are.

Paragraph #8:  I don't use any visiual measurement studio applications. So from the lttle I read and understood I don't think I need it.  It sounds like its needed more for creating applications in WIndows and I let National do that w application builder in Labview.

Guess I can find out the hard way when I port my installer over to my target machine and it doesn't work.

I really appreciate the reply.  Didn't know if this was the correct forum to post to. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,390 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Clint_Eastwood1000

Hi Clint,

Since you are not using and Measurement Studio applications and you are not using any web services etc in your LabVIEW program, you don't need to include the .NET framework in your executable. 

I hope this helps.

Anna L

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 5
(5,375 Views)

Thanks !!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,360 Views)