PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do I need multiple Vendor ID and device ID ?

Hi

I am developing a Compact PCI/ PXI card. Will I need a different DEVICE ID for each card, so that Labview can recognise between two cards. Is the distinction between two cards having the same vendor ID done on the basis of Device ID's or is it done on the basis of the slot it is in.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Sandeep
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,143 Views)

Hi Sandeep,

Thank you for contacting National Instruments.  If you are developing a Compact PCI / PXI card or a PCI card, it should have the same vendor ID and the same device ID.  In order to differentiate in LabVIEW between two cards of the same model, the Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) will provide an alias or device name to NI hardware (e.g. Dev1, Dev2).  However, this is specific to NI hardware only. 

You can differentiate between your custom card by looking at the slot number it is in, or perhaps by looking at information on your card such as the serial number or reading information off of the EEPROM. 

I hope this helps.  There are some other discussion forum posts that may help more too, which I've linked here

Regards,

Daniel L.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Message 2 of 3
(3,130 Views)
Sandeep,

I had some comments in addition to Daniel's.

If you are creating your own PXI card you will need to write your own driver. PXI uses the PCI programming model. Most drivers distinguish multiple cards in the same system by the PCI bus, device, and function numbers as defined by the PCI specification. This allows software to distinguish between two completely identical boards in the same system. You are allowed to have multiple boards in the same system with the same PCI device/vendor ID. The PCI device/vendor ID just associates a particular driver with a particular card. It is the responsibility of the driver to create distinguishable "handles" to each card. How the driver does so is implementation-specific.

Note that the PCI bus/device/function is not the same as the VISA resource name.

Collin
Message 3 of 3
(3,122 Views)