From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe way to shutdown PXI-RT system that does logging? Hard drive failure

Hi all,

I have a pxie-8135 RT controller that has been running for about a year now. Everything is fine until one day we rebooted the system and found out there is a hard drive failure. (The controller has be rebooted countless times before and everything is fine).

The controller fail to recognize the hard drive anymore. I don't know what caused this problem, but I presume that it might be that we were continuously logging and writting files into the controller, and when we shutdown, it might have corrupted some files in the hard drive. I cannot say for sure this is the cause, but what I am asking is if there is a safe way to shutdown the RT controller when we have continuous logging/file write going on. Does the controller ends it's last loop when we press the power button or does it just stop everything?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,530 Views)
Hi TunaFish, When formatting the PXI, I recommend using the "Reliance" file system since it is more robust for data logging applications in case of a power issue or any other situation that could just shutdown the PXI. (see: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/54F470CCF153945C86257711004F4248 ). In regards to the safe way to shut down the controller, a couple of ideas come to my mind. If the system has a user interface, the data logging can be stopped correctly by using a boolean control and after that, you can turn off the controller using the power button. If the system does not have a UI I would suggest using a digital I/O line to read the state of a physical button and then programmatically stop the logging before turning off the controller with the power button. Regards!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,501 Views)