PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plug-and-play not working, XP 8176 controller

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a system with an 8176 controller running XP. NI PXI-devices are not detected plug and play. Latest XP and NI patches updates. The system has 512MB ram and >10GB free disk space. No "yellow marks" ion the device manager except for the PXI boards.

I have several different PXI devices, 6608 timer, 4461, 5406 etc. None is PNP detected.

This works: Controll panel => Add Hardware etc

Device manager => Data Aquisition Devices => "Detect new hardware" does not work

Whenever I update MAX, all the PXI devices go back to being un-detected, with a yellow exclamation mark in the device manager, and in MAX the device has an "X" mark, and an outline symbol only.

Repeating Controll panel => Add Hardware etc finds the hardware and then things work fine from there again.

I have tried removing all boards except the 6608 timer but it's still not detected.

Any ideas? Is it possible that I miss some software component?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,327 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author janaf
It was simply the XP "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" service that had been disabled.....
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,323 Views)

Actually, the solution was another one.

It seems Plug and Play is not supported over Remote desktop, which I was using to connect to the PXI controller. It seems the plug and play user interface is only interacting with local desktops.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,311 Views)