PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI - How to use DAQmx Start Trigger when channel list contains more than one PXI module

Solved!
Go to solution

Can someone help me with this DAQmx issue that happens when acquiring analog inputs from a PXI system when the channel list uses multiple PXI modules (so multi-device AI task with a start trigger).

I developed the code in LabVIEW 2018 (64-bit), and using NI DAQmx 19.6.

I have the following PXI system:

PXIe-1071 4-Slot Chassis

Slot1: PXIe-8301 Thunderbolt 3 Remote Controller

Slot2: PXIe-4302 Voltage Input Module with TB-4302 Terminal Block

Slot3: PXIe-4340 LVDT Module with TB-4340 Terminal Block

Slot4: PXIe-4340 LVDT Module with TB-4340 Terminal Block

My AI Task consists of 9 channels:

PXI1Slot2/ai0, PXI1Slot2/ai1, PXI1Slot2/ai2, PXI1Slot2/ai3, 

PXI1Slot3/ai0, PXI1Slot3/ai1, PXI1Slot3/ai2, PXI1Slot3/ai3, 

PXI1Slot1/ai0

I would like to use /PXI1Slot2/PFI0 as the DAQmx Start Trigger (Start Digital Edge).

I would like to use /PXI1Slot3/PFI0 as the External Clock.

However when I run the VI, I get the error:

Error -89136 occurred at DAQmx Start Task.vi:7220001

Possible reason(s):

Specified route cannot be satisfied, because the hardware does not support it.

Property: Start.DigEdge.Src
Property: Start.DigEdge.Edge
Source Device: PXI1Slot2
Source Terminal: PFI0

Task Name: LVDT & LASER

I am enclosing a test VI (SR_DAQ_Test.vi) and additional subVIs that will reproduce this behavior. It can be reproduced even when using Simulated PXI modules in MAX.

Please see enclosed image of DAQmx Help for Mult-Device Tasks. According to this, the three PXI modules in my AI Task are compatible with each other.

I have also enclosed a snapshot from MAX showing the PXI simulation devices, if you wish to reproduce this issue.

Thanks again for any tips!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,362 Views)

HI RagMan,

Please check this document DAQmx Channel Expansion 

Primarly, you have to make sure all the modules must support the configuration specified in the above document. Hope that will help.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,298 Views)

Hi Voyager7277

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am pretty sure the modules I have are compatible with each other for mult-device tasks. I saw it in the the DAQmx help (see picture enclosed with my original post).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,292 Views)

Hi RagMan,

Just curious to know is the issue solved? Have you found anything going wrong with HW setup or configuration?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,273 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RagMan

I contacted NI Support and they responded with documents that show that it should be possible since PXIe-4302 and PXIe-4340 are compatible with each other for multi-device tasks. But I could not get it to work. I could have experimented with moving the modules to different slots. Instead I came up with a work-around. Since I have 2 of the PXIe-4340 modules, I used one of them for Start Tigger  and the other for external Clock. So the Start Trigger signal is connected to PFI0 on the first PXIe-4340 (in Slot 3) and the Ext Clock signal is connect to the PFI0 on the second PXIe-4340 (in Slot 4). The PXIe-4302 (in Slot 2) is still in the task but its PFI0 is not used. With this, it is working. Not a full resolution but sufficient for now.

I also noticed that the slot order is important. If I used the second PXIe-4340 (in Slot 4) for Start Trigger and the first PXIe-4340 (in Slot 3) for Ext. Clock, I get the same -89136 error. This is why I think moving the PXIe-4302 to a different Slot might work. But  I am working remotely so cannot try this until I am on-site.

Thanks for your interest!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,270 Views)