PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI Embedded Controllers vs PXI Remote Controllers

Hi, 

My lab intends to buy some products of NI to build Hardware-in-the-loop. After reading specifications of NI products; for instance, PXI Embedded Controllers, PXI Remote Controllers,  NI PXIe-7821R, .... I saw that the difference between PXI Embedded Controllers and PXI Remote Controllers is thoughput and the latency of transferring data. 

So could anyone or NI engineer help me to explain more information of the difference between PXI Embedded Controllers and PXI Remote Controllers? 

If I would like to use PXI Remote Controllers with external MXI to reduce the cost, could our built systems achieve Real-Time Operation System, and how about the performance. 

For ex: 

PXI Embedded Controllers (PXIe-8133) vs PXI Remote Controllers ( PXIe-PCIe8381 )

Thanks & Regards

Duc-Dung Le

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,907 Views)

If you want an actual RT system (using an RT OS, not Windows) then I would use the embedded controller.

If you are using Windows, then I find the cost to be about the same between using an embedded controller versus a MXIe connection with a good rack mount computer.  For my test systems, I prefer having an external computer that is easy to pull out, add memory, add a harddrive, etc.  But not enough to really fight it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,877 Views)