From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC does not boot with PXI-8331

Hello,

the PC driving our PXI system does not boot anymore when chassis is turned on. If we turn the chassis off then PC boots normally, like if PC was pending a thing from chassis, preventing PC from starting, and never get it. Of course, it was working properly until it wasn't...

We have checked BIOS configuration and we tried with other PCs, different OS : it always repeats the same scenario.

We are afraid it is probably an hardware issue instead of software but if someone already has this kind of issue we'll be glad to share some feedback, mostly to know how diagnosis which part is in default (PCI, PXI, chassis?)

Our system is PXI-8331/PCI-8331 with chassis PXI-1031.

Thanks,

Guillaume

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,948 Views)

Hello,

You can try these troubleshootings steps that you can find here : https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019Mw9SAE&l=fr-FR

Listed below are some good troubleshooting steps to follow. Additional steps are covered in detail in the MXI Compatibility and Connectivity Troubleshooting Guide on our Tutorials page.

• Make sure all the connections are good.
    1. Remove all PXI devices from the chassis. 
    2. Make sure the MXI boards are securely seated and placed into the proper slots. The MXI card must be in the first slot of the secondary chassis. (If the first chassis has a controller in it, the PXI MXI can be in any other slot)
    3. Make sure the ends of the cables are fully inserted into the connectors on the MXI boards. The link light on the MXI should stay on the continuously while the system is powered up. If the LED flashes at anytime the link has been lost, possibly due to a loose connection. 
    4. Make sure the PCI connection to the computer is solid.
  • With the chassis powered off, remove all PXI cards but the MXI. Power the chassis on and try to boot the computer again.
  • Try changing PCI slots in the computer.
  • If you are using other PCI cards, remove those and try to boot with only the MXI card.
  • PCI range limitations maybe causing enumeration issues. See Determining the Number and Range of PCI/PCIe Root Bus Devices for more information. 
  • Ensure that your system is running the latest BIOS version.
  • If you previously installed MXI BIOS Compatibility software, try uninstalling this software.  Reboot the computer.

Kind regards,

IT

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,887 Views)

Guillaume,

What are the LEDs indicating on each card?  You should see the PWR and LINK LEDs on, and the TX and RX will occasionally flash/flicker.  If that's not the case, is their state constant as soon as you power up the PC, or do they change at all during boot?

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,871 Views)

Hello,

I have tried troubleshhoting steps : no changes.

When I turn on chassis : TX and LNK blink once, PWR turns On.

When I turned PC On with the chassis already turned on : on MXI card nothing happens, PWR stays On. On the PCI card, RX blinks once, PWR, LNK and TX turn On (no blinking). PC does not boot.

If I turn the chassis On right after the first boot screen : on MXI card, TX and LNK blink once, PWR turns On; on PCI card, PWR and LNK turn On.

It seems PCI card responds normally and so issue comes from MXI card.

Guillaume

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,850 Views)

That sounds like a hardware problem with the MXI kit, though there's a chance it's the cable.  You could try flipping the cable around to see if the LEDs change.  If the LED behavior is different then a new cable could help.  If the LEDs are the same then it's  one of the cards.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,832 Views)

I already have tried to switch cable connectivity (without any improvement) and tested electrical connectivity as well (every pins' fine).

I will try NI diagnosis and sent them MXI controller.

Thanks a lot for helping.

Guillaume

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,816 Views)