PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting PXI-8880 to Labtop via Ethernet

I'm trying to connect my laptop to a NI PXIe-8880 controller (via ethernet) to be run remotely. I did not have an operating system installed, hence the need for the laptop. I've connected the laptop to the controller and turned on the PXI chassis, but under devices and interfaces, the PXI system does not show up. Is Ethernet a viable way to connect the laptop to the controller? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,464 Views)

Hi jj0092,

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry you're having issues. Think of the PXI Controller like any other computer on a network. It requires to have it's own operating system to do networking, as well as actually run functions on the PXI that your laptop may tell it. What you are attempting to do is possible, but it's without an controller, and is called a MXI connection (sorry if you're already familiar).

Note: If you put Windows on your 8880, it still won't show up in MAX, only if you have an RTOS.

Keddy C.
Staff Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,434 Views)

Thanks for the response! 

I actually ended up finding it in MAX. However, I'm struggling to run Labview on the controller via remotely from my laptop. I'm actually not familiar with MXI, as of now I just have the laptop connected directly to the controller by way of Ethernet. Is it possible to run Labview RT the way I am trying? 

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,431 Views)

jj0092,

Yes actually, this is a very common way to control a Real Time controller. If you give us specifics on what you are struggling with, maybe we can be assistance.

MXI connections are used if you don't have or don't want an embedded controller, but since you have one, you can ignore my comment.

Keddy C.
Staff Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,413 Views)

I understand that the PXI 8880 already comes with Labview RT module preinstalled, but I guess the host computer needs to have the RT module installed too? The laptop I'm using only has a standard copy of Labview on it, do I need Labview RT installed on it as well? Sorry for such a basic question.

Thanks again for your help

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,405 Views)

No worries, it's not trivial. Yes, you will need the LabVIEW RT module on your computer to interact with the 8880.

Keddy C.
Staff Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,388 Views)