NIYANTRA Documents

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequently Asked Questions: NIYANTRA 2013 Second Round

• When do I start with my project ?

Now !! We recommend that you do not wait for the hardware loaning or mentor assignment. Since the assigning of these resources is a manual process, you should expect some time.  The first step towards success is getting started. Hence, start self-learning with the vast number of free resources on ni.com (download this list here). The competition is tight and every second will count. Please ensure you use your time wisely.

• What all software & hardware tools can I use in my project ?

The project needs to be LabVIEW based. For hardware , you can use either NI hardware or any third party hardware.

• What are the next stages in the contest ?
  1. The teams with abstracts selected for the next round will now be required to develop a working application/model/prototype based on the abstract submitted.
  2. Once the teams have developed their working model/application/prototype, they will shoot a video of their application in the running state and submit it as an entry to the next round. The process for submitting the video will be informed to the teams soon. The deadline for this video submission is July 31,2013
  3. Based on the video, the list of finalists for NIYANTRA 2013 will be announced on or before August 15, 2013
  4. These finalists will be presenting their final projects before the panel of judges during Educators Day 2013 (September 1-2, 2013)

• What about Hardware & Software Loaning ?

Hardware to teams will only be loaned out once they have completed their algorithm & codes. The hardware requests will be evaluated by Team NIYANTRA first and depending on the feasibility, teams will be loaned out hardware. This is being done to ensure that the deserving and meritorious teams get access to hardware first as compared to their counterparts. Since, we have a limited number of equipment that we can loan out. It will be purely on first come first serve basis

• How can I get access to LabVIEW ?

You can download the evaluation copy of the latest version of LabVIEW from ni.com/trylabview

• Which version of LabVIEW should I use?

It is recommended that you use LabVIEW 2012 or 2012 SP1.

• Where can I get in person classroom training?

Visit http://www.ni.com/academic/labview_academy_schools.htm

• What is NI Certification ?  What is CLAD ? Is it an examination ?

It is highly advised that you get CLAD certification. Not only will it help you identify any areas that might have been left unpolished during your LabVIEW training (self paced or instructor led), but it will also help you set yourself apart when applying for jobs/further studies.

NIYANTRA teams selected for the next round will also be getting a discount on CLAD examination. Click here  to read more.

• What is the role of the mentor?

The role of a mentor is to guide you towards completing your project on time. The mentors are experienced LabVIEW programmers who can answer specific questions about LabVIEW and other NI products; questions that you might have during the development of your project, and despite your best efforts, are not able to find answer to. Having a regular discussion with your mentor can help you identify loopholes in your algorithm/code at an early stage, thereby giving you enough time to resolve them, and thus ensuring that you complete your project on time.

Please note, however, that the mentors are working professionals, who have volunteered to take time out of their busy schedules to mentor you. Therefore, please respect their time and make sure you have done enough research on your own, before escalating a question to your mentor.

• Where are the LabVIEW academies located? How can I contact them?

http://www.ni.com/academic/labview_academy_schools.htm

• How do I know my hardware is compatible with LabVIEW?

All NI hardware provided will definitely be compatible with LabVIEW. If you have a specific hardware that you wish to check, please contact your mentor.

Comments
Gsp
on

Sir,

The abstract that we sent didn't get selected.but now we have got the "next steps" mail from NI.Is this mail sent to all NI YANTRA participants?or only to those whose project have been selected?

NIYANTRA
on

If you read the mail carefully, the first line says "This e-mail is meant only for teams who have qualified the abstract submission round."

Have a nice day.

Shanmugapriya.Ganesan wrote:

Sir,

The abstract that we sent didn't get selected.but now we have got the "next steps" mail from NI.Is this mail sent to all NI YANTRA participants?or only to those whose project have been selected?

Gsp
on

just a doubt.thanks for the reply.

darshan0308
on

Sir,we have our VTU exams coming up in the month of june!So i am in a real dilemma now.And my abstract has been selected,am working on the project of some antenna and i don think that i can do the same project using LAB VIEW.Please guide me!

NIYANTRA
on
  • Regarding examination, you should plan in advance regarding how you will tackle the project.  This might mean that you will have to put in some extra effort once your exams are done so that you are able to submit the project before July 31.  You and your team will be the best ones to decide the course of action

• Before giving up on your project, you should make an attempt to learn LabVIEW . Staring right with the resource document (attached as a PDF) in this post, to the online free seminars to the mentor, you have a vast option set to learn the LabVIEW programming environment and complete your project succesfully.

darshan0308@outlook.com wrote:

Sir,we have our VTU exams coming up in the month of june!So i am in a real dilemma now.And my abstract has been selected,am working on the project of some antenna and i don think that i can do the same project using LAB VIEW.Please guide me!

rayappagowtham
on

Sir i am doing power system project using LabVIEW. What type of hardware NI will provide to us.?  After finishing algorithm and codes to which mail id we need to send?

NIYANTRA
on
  • The hardware providing options will depend on your project and will be based on your application more than anything else. You need to identify the hardware options that'll be suitable for your project. Your mentor will evaluate the request and will guide you through this.

• For mail id: Refer to  point 2 under What are the next stages in the contest ? 

rayappagowtham wrote:

Sir i am doing power system project using LabVIEW. What type of hardware NI will provide to us.?  After finishing algorithm and codes to which mail id we need to send?

darshan0308
on

Thank you sir!

And if i like can't do the project at all using LAB VIEW ,will it be considered as a disqualification or so?

NIYANTRA
on

As per rules of NIYANTRA, LabVIEW needs to be incorporated in the application.

Thank you sir!

And if i like can't do the project at all using LAB VIEW ,will it be considered as a disqualification or so?

darshan0308
on

Well okay Sir,i will verify that..But the project can be done through MATLAB,is that okay?

NIYANTRA
on

As mentioned before, you need to compulsarily use LabVIEW as the programming environment.

Well okay Sir,i will verify that..But the project can be done through MATLAB,is that okay?

darshan0308
on

Very well..Thank you sir!

aswin93
on

sir,

i have already used the evaluation software before. I think that i cant access it again.what can i do to get a new one.?

loka
on

hai sir,,

my abstract have been selected and i now ready to do project...but my doubt is that my projects should compulsury to use LABVIEW? because my project is fully hardware based...pls clear my doubt sir

rayappagowtham
on

ok sir thank you for response....

Udhay215
on

Hello Sir,

I am part of two teams and the abstract of both the teams has been selected, but I am the only common member. I just wanted to ensure if that it wont be a problem becasue all through the registration process I did not see any instruction stating that one person should be a part on one team only. Kindly throw light upon the same.

Thanks and Regards,

Udhay

NIYANTRA
on

It will not be a problem, as long as you can manage working on multiple projects.

Udhay215 wrote:

Hello Sir,

I am part of two teams and the abstract of both the teams has been selected, but I am the only common member. I just wanted to ensure if that it wont be a problem becasue all through the registration process I did not see any instruction stating that one person should be a part on one team only. Kindly throw light upon the same.

Thanks and Regards,

Udhay

vamshi5
on

Hello sir,

our abstract was selected for next round, we require a barcode scanner and a stepper motor for our project will you provide them.

NIYANTRA
on

You can download a free evaluation version at ni.com/trylabview.  You can try installing it on one of your teammate's computer.

aswin93 wrote:

sir,

i have already used the evaluation software before. I think that i cant access it again.what can i do to get a new one.?

NIYANTRA
on

NIYANTRA is an autonmous embedded system design contest where most of the projects have had a hardware-software integration.  To get an idea, click here to refer to last year's submissions.

loka wrote:

hai sir,,

my abstract have been selected and i now ready to do project...but my doubt is that my projects should compulsury to use LABVIEW? because my project is fully hardware based...pls clear my doubt sir

NIYANTRA
on

Refer to  What about Hardware & Software Loaning ? point to know more about the hardware loaning process. We will not be loaning out sensors & actuators.

vamshi5 wrote:

Hello sir,

our abstract was selected for next round, we require a barcode scanner and a stepper motor for our project will you provide them.

Ssmaster
on

Hello Sir,

Our abstract has been selected for the next round, We required guidelines to know if we are in the right path.

1) Basic configuration using arduino and the execution software has been conpleted.

2) NI LabVIEW Interface for arduino toolkit(Downloaded)

would this be considerd as the genuine use of LabView ????

Ankur_90
on

Hello Sir,

Our abstarct has been selected for next round. We are a team of 5 undergraduates. All 5 of us are currently doing internships in different cities and it becomes very difficult to co-ordiante and work for project. Our college re-opens on 1st July and completing the working model by 31st is very difficult. We therefore request you to kindly extend the submission date, so that we have enough time to work on our project.

Thanking You

NIYANTRA
on

Hello

We have over 1500 teams working on their projects and trying hard to submit their projects before July 31. Accomodating individual requests like these will be difficult and unfair to the other teams.

Ankur_90 wrote:

Hello Sir,

Our abstarct has been selected for next round. We are a team of 5 undergraduates. All 5 of us are currently doing internships in different cities and it becomes very difficult to co-ordiante and work for project. Our college re-opens on 1st July and completing the working model by 31st is very difficult. We therefore request you to kindly extend the submission date, so that we have enough time to work on our project.

Thanking You

puneet22
on

sir

how can we interface gps ( or internet ) with lab view...

NIYANTRA
on

Simply downloading the toolkit cannot be counted as genuine use of LabVIEW. You have to make use of that toolkit to program Arduino. Also, we have a platform very similar to Arduino, called Chipkit UNO. Find out more about it at ni.com/chipkit

NIYANTRA
on

If you already have a GPS receiver that can communicate over serial, you can implement something similar to the following link

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/2197

Try searching on the internet to find more examples.

choudhary7neera
on

sir, can you tell me how should get know how to get hardware help from NI. sir i complete my model and codeing but sir as its mentioned that the hardware is use will from Ni.so please tell me what should i do .

please help me sir.

Sibin
on

Hi,

I am doing project on Developing of infotainment system for monitoring traffic rules and driver authentication.So i require a Single board computer with touchscreen which runs Windows Embedded in it.The best matching hardware which suits my project is NI TPC-2212(12 in LabVIEW touch panel Computer with Windows Embedded ). Will NI be providing with this hardware ?

With Regards

Sibin K Mathew

Email: sibin.is.here@gmail.com
Mobile No:+1215-406-6545
http://in.linkedin.com/pub/sibin-mathew/48/846/446
puneet22
on

sir 
how can we interface gps ( or internet ) with lab view...

ohri1294
on

sir

1) if we wish to add another member to our team is it possible or not..

2) could you pls tell how to interface gps and gsm devices with pic microcontroller using labview

abhi3393
on

Hello Sir,

Our abstract has been selected for next round, now what we are supposed to do?

We have developed the design but don't know Labview. So tell us how can we move further?

atuljay
on

Sir i am mid way through my project  but i am having some difficulty in completing it and sir i would be glad if you could tell me how to use real time data and interface it with deck card.

Kiruthika
on

Sir,

Can by what date will the mentors be allotted to us?

hinalshah
on

Sir, the training lectures havent been uploaded yet.I had missed the lectures due to my semester exam.When would the lectures be uploaded?

ohri1294
on

sir i am still awaiting your reply to my queries

NIYANTRA
on

We are going to launch a series of training lectures which will include the previous ones too. Keep an eye here.

hinalshah wrote:

Sir, the training lectures havent been uploaded yet.I had missed the lectures due to my semester exam.When would the lectures be uploaded?

NIYANTRA
on

We are in the process of mentor allocation and you will hear from us. Meanwhile, please keep compiling the queries and have them diected when the mentor is allocated. Just to give a heads up, the mentor - team interaction will happen on http://tinyurl.com/niyantra2013 so please keep an eye there.

Kiruthika wrote:

Sir,

Can by what date will the mentors be allotted to us?

aravinthg1992
on

sir i completed my project using AVR microcontroller..is necessary to do in LABVIEW

rayappagowtham
on

sir in my project i am trying to build coding and excute the function of  microcontroller mc 16f877a in mutlisim it is possible to interface with LabVIEW and get the output from mutisim program (microcntroller) and it is able to feed into LabVIEW ?...

preethiageeru
on

can we get the new version of labview 12

kumarg0897
on

Sir we are unable to move forward without the hardware, what should we do?

kiranvarma
on

Sir, we are going to work on LED matrix displays! so which tool i can download from

Evaluate NI Software Products for my project.

Can i use any processor from other manufacturers along with LABVIEW.

Can i interface Stellaris launch pad with LABVIEW.

vidya35
on

sir,

our project has been selected but we had submitting jus 1 idea. but next to my name there is an astrisk(*) which indicates multiple submission. Is it a error in processing???...plz let me know soon

preetish
on

dear sir / madam

my team has select for next round but i dont understand " The interaction between the team mentors and the teams will happen on separate spaces for each Group."

what does it mean plz explain me

ohri1294
on

i must say considering that the deadline is just a month away niyantra authorities are not helping or answering any queries whatsoever

pls we all have doubts it is requested that queries be cleared in a competition of such great stature

kiranvarma
on

sir some of my students are went to internship, so they not available now. Can i replace them with other member. plz rely me!

irfan789
on

sir

can ypu help me how to interface  our Lab VIEW with arm7 NXP LPC2148 microcontroller... sothat i can use it as daq card

manu123
on

Hello Sir

One of our team member wont be able to continue as a team member and chooses to opt out due to various reasons. can we replace him with someone else?

rayappagowtham
on

Hi sir,

we have completed coding and logic sidein our project. we need a hardware loan to proceed forward. please intimate about hardware loan as possible.

Contributors