NI VeriStand Add-Ons Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VeriStand Steps for TestStand Feedback

Hi Tony,

Is the issue that the Run Stimulus Profile step doesn't run your stimulus profile or that it doesn't do what you are expecting it to do?

Also, are you attempting to do host-side logging or target logging? If you don't mind logging on the target, you can set up triggered logs using the Embedded Data Logger custom device by writing to the Log Trigger channel. I'd recommend this method if you don't want delay between the start of your log and the trigger.

If you want host-side logging, we'll need to talk a bit more about architecture. Are you wanting other TestStand steps to run while you are waiting for a trigger? If not, I'd recommend setting up a stimulus profile that does the following:

1. Call a real-time sequence which waits for the trigger to be true
  2. Call a Start Logging step (be sure to timestamp the filename) - step 1 can also be handled by the Start Logging configuration
  3. Call a real-time sequence which waits for the trigger to be false
  4. Call a Stop Logging step on the previous log.

This can also be accomplished in TestStand in you are waiting for a trigger and do not need pre-trigger or post-trigger points. Steps 1 and 3 can be done with a RT Sequence Action step or using a Get Channel Value inside of a TestStand While or Do While loop. Steps 2 and 3 can be handled with Start VS Logging and Stop VS Logging.

If you want other TestStand steps to run while you are waiting for a trigger, I would recommend using the Run Stimulus Profile (Async) step.

If your stimulus profile doesn't run at all, I would recommend verifying that it runs without error in the Stimulus Profile Editor.

Best Regards,

Lynn

National Instruments
Senior Systems Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 292
(6,014 Views)

Hi Lynn

Thanks for your clarification.

I understand what you mean.

Our customer is worried about the following document on LabVIEW help.

Like as LabVIEW, calling stimulus profile is not robust way or unstable also on Teststand?

Use the Legacy VIs to interact with the legacy Stimulus Profile Editor workspace tool. In NI VeriStand 2011, the legacy Stimulus Profile Editor was replaced by a more robust Stimulus Profile Editor.

Help URL

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372846H-01/veristandmerge/vs_legacy_vis_pal/

Is there any cons or demerits to call directly stimulus profile from teststand compared to calling RT sequence?

Best regards.

Eisuke Ono.

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 292
(6,013 Views)

One approach you might want to consider, and I've used this with great success at the suggestion of an NI AE, is to not use the Stimulus Profile at all. Instead, do everything that you accomplish with the Stimulus Profile now through the use of the Veristand Custom Steps in the TestStand sequence. You can still call RT sequences, setup and run your logging functions, pretty much everything the Stimulus Profile does without ever having to use it.

Note that this will work best and require the least amount of effort if you're using 2014 versions of LV, TS, and VS. I've made it work using 2012 versions, but there's more overhead involved.

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 292
(6,013 Views)

Eisuke,

The Stimulus Profile Editor tool was upgraded in 2011. What you are referencing refers to stimulus profiles generated in the old (<= VeriStand 2010) Stimulus Profile Editor which require the use of Legacy Stimulus Profile VIs to execute. VeriStand 2011 and beyond utilize the new Stimulus Profile Editor and it is recommended at all new stimulus profiles be created with this newer tool. With the new Stimulus Profile Editor came new VIs to suport those steps:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372846H-01/veristandmerge/vs_stimulus_profile_vis_pal/

A stimulus profile and a TestStand sequence are designed to do the same thing: execute an automated test. The benefit of using TestStand over a stimulus profile is that you have more access to parameterization of the tests, tracking requirements, generating custom reports, etc.

Lynn

National Instruments
Senior Systems Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 292
(6,013 Views)

I have tried the Run Stimulus Profile (Asynch), but the profile never runs.  I have tried with the Stimulus Profile Editor open and with it closed.  The profile runs fine from the stimulus profile editor.  What I currently am doing is starting the Stimulus Profile Editor using a call executable step and then prompting the operator to select and run the stimulus profile...kind of hoakie...  I'd like to be able to eliminate the operator interaction.

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 292
(6,014 Views)

Without seeing your specific stimulus profile, I cannot tell you why it is not running, but I suspect it is dependent on the profile. I put together a quick example in TestStand 2013 and VeriStand 2013 SP1 which shows the Run Stimulus Profile (Asynch) running in parallel with a Run Stimulus Profile step successfully which may be able to help you. You will need to download and extract the files. Depending on your versions, you will need to make the following changes:

In the TestStand sequence:

• Initialize VeriStand - Map to your VeriStand version's Engine Demo project
  • Run Stimulus Profile (Async) - Configure to run the Demo Async.nivsstimprof included in the attached *.zip file
  • Run Stimulus Profile - Configure to run your VeriStand version's Basic Engine Demo.nivsstimprof

In the Demo Async.nivsstimprof

• Open in your version of VeriStand and save.
  • Start Log - Configure the location to a known location on your computer

The demo will start the async stimulus profile which waits to reach a set ActualRPM. When that RPM is reached, a log is started and stopped once the ActualRPM reaches 0 again. The ActualRPM is then stimulated using the Basic Engine Demo in parallel.

National Instruments
Senior Systems Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 292
(6,013 Views)

That's all I needed...thanks!  I was trying to use the Open Stimulus Profile Session before trying to Run Stimulus Profile (Asynch).  The open session would generate an error regarding Object type of Nothing and since there is no indication the stimulus profile is running I thought it had failed.  I am now getting the TDMS Data Log out that I was looking for...Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 292
(6,013 Views)

Hi ElectricWraith.

Thank you for your suggesion.

There's two way that our customer is considering to develop automated test.

1. Teststand -- Stimulus Profile -- Realtime Sequence.

2. Teststand -- Realtime Sequence.

Do you mean "1." contains more overhead time to execute compared to "2."?

So far our customer prefer "1." because Stimulus Profile Editor generates ATML file which shows the test results.

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 292
(6,013 Views)

Hello Lynn.

I misunderstood the help files.

Sorry.

So I recognized that there's not much difference calling stimulus profile and realtime sequence at performance.

Is my understanding correct?

Best regards.

Eisuke.

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 292
(6,013 Views)

Hi Eisuke,

There is a major difference between calling a stimulus profile and real-time sequence. The stimulus profile is non-deterministic and runs on the host PC. Similarly, a TestStand sequence is non-deterministic and runs on the host PC. The real-time sequence is determinisic and runs in real-time on the real-time target (if your target is a real-time target).

I recommend that the customer use a TestStand sequence instead of a stimulus profile. This will give them more flexibility with reporting (and they can select ATML files in TestStand).They can use the RT Sequence test steps to run and get pass/fail information. They can also add their own information to the report which a stimulus profile does not allow.

Lynn

National Instruments
Senior Systems Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 292
(6,013 Views)