cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create sequence files automatically starting from an excel test suite

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I wanna know if it is possible to automatically create sequence files from excel test suites which contains actions and expected results then execute them in Teststand, without having to do that manually which takes tremendous amount of time.

thank you in advance for your answers.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,359 Views)

Yes it is possible.   I would have to see what your data looks like to give you more information and direction.

However, the TestStand API allows you to basically do most things in TestStand in an automated fashion.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 10
(4,347 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author moianis

I meant to send you this link: https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052R-01/tsexamples/infotopics/buildsequenceapi_labview/

There is an example that shows how to build a sequence file using the API.

Cheers,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 3 of 10
(4,340 Views)
Solution

A potential alternative to generating all of these files would be to create a superset of your tests, use the property loader to import a list of test & limits from your excel file, and only run the necessary sequences from your sequence file.

It depends on your overall testing procedure if something like this makes more sense than generating files with the API.

Hope this helps!

Trent

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,334 Views)

Hello here is my excel file.

best regards

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,330 Views)

what i want to do is turn existing  test suites  and test cases to TestStand format in order to do Hardware in The Loop testing, for example for an action putting a set_tag, for a check a get_tag, putting labels... and all of that programatically without doing it manually.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,324 Views)
Solution

Hi

when ever it is possible i convert a complete test specification to a teststand sequence file.

In early years i have created a c# application that uses TS-API.

Today i am using a teststand sequncefile  exactly as jigg mentioned , because when creating it - TS will give me a report 😉

In both solutions i first convert the excelfile in to a xml-file. So there is addtional interface to keep it flexible.

ftp://ftp.ni.com/pub/branches/germany/vipdays_09_sessions/Automotive_5_Automatische_Dodek.pdf (see Part1)

Hope this helps to see it is possible

regrads

Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
Message 7 of 10
(4,315 Views)

Hello

thanks for your answers i will check that Api and try to undesrtand how it works, one last question, can i convert a sequence to a readable Xml file with an Api?

Thanks in Advance

Anis 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,300 Views)

Hi Anis,

yes you may save a sequnce file as xml (manually or with api).

But i would never create a xml file that TS can read.Thats extremley complicated(and will work only for a specific Version!!!).  Always use the api to create a seuencefile.

Unfortunately when writing my fist message a did not look on your example. Your task is pretty difficult.

The structure is extremly plain, but not impossible when you just want to derive your steps from "expected result". Of Course best would be one step per cell.

I wish you good luck.

Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,248 Views)

Hello j_dodek,

thank you for your answer, i wanna know something, i tried the sequence builder api that allows me to turn an xml file (present in a folder called 'Common') to a sequence file, i opened that xml file and it isn't complicated to read and very understandable, i wanna know how to do the exact opposite passing from a sequence file to an Xml file that looks like the one given in the examples folder ( i mean i changed the format of a sequence to XML then i opened it but it was a long complicated Xml fiLe)

The purpose behind doing that is to create automatically  Xml files that will be turned to sequence files by using the Sequence builder Api. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,231 Views)