NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using labview global in test stand sequence steps

If I have to pass data between different steps ( only labview vis) within same Main sequence, is it right using LabVIEW globals, rather than TestStand globals?

in one step, I will be writing data to the Global.

write global.png

In a later step, I will be reading the global to access that data.

read global.png

Example sequence:

Sequence.PNG

I am more comfortable with using Labview globals than Teststand variables. Labview is the only adapter in my sequence. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,930 Views)

If it is just within one sequence, then I would use the TestStand variables.  The reason is because you are limiting your possible reuse of those VIs by using the global.  If you pass in the value, you have a better chance of being able to reuse the VI.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,913 Views)

In some perspective, yes, it would limit the reusability.

But in a case, where this global has to be used in a " write once -read many time" way, I feel that it is easier with Labview global. If we use TestStand variable, every time this vi is called in a step, we have to connect the variable to the vi input terminal (which I find a little time consuming, to open the variable browser and selec the variable).

Also I want to know if there is any peformance/efficiency difference in the execution.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,909 Views)

I agree with

If you are going to use globals, I would suggest the use of a functional global variable (FGV).  This can be called from both the TestStand sequence (LabVIEW Adapter Step) or a VI.  If you are only using the global within LabVIEW, I would believe the performance would be faster than passing from TestStand.

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,894 Views)

Thanks for the info..

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,867 Views)