NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle run time error occurred in sub sequence call from main sequence programatically

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Team,

I am having difficulty in teststand error handling during run time any help would be great for start

I have Main sequence which as so lot of steps including sequence call .[ Refer attached image] How can i handle errors which occurred in Sequence call [test  case 1 or test case 2 or test case 3 ] from Main sequence.[ Parent sequence which is calling test case 1 or test case 2 sequence ] 

Vegona_0-1589244500468.png

i do not want to stop the main sequence execution just because we have known error in test case1  sub sequence call

Tried below options

Option 1:

inserted SequenceFilePostStepRuntimeError sequence file call back in main client sequence but this callback sequence did not execute when error occurred in Test Case 1 seq. 

Option 2:

Inserted SequenceFilePostStepRuntimeError call back in each sub-sequence call [ Test case 1 ,test case 2  and test case 3] which worked but if we have 1000 test cases and i don't know is it good/best idea to  insert runtime error callback in all the test case sequence .

Option 3:

Inserted all 3 test case sequence in Main sequence and selected use current file for sequence call along with engine call back which worked .

Since we have already 100's of separate sequence file create which is being called in main sequence .So Please let me know the best possible solution to get error details from sub sequence call into main client sequence.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,551 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vegona

Is this something that is affecting the whole station? Or do you have different tests where you wouldn't want this to happen. The reason I ask, is a quick way would just be to create a Station Callback. You can create a StationPostStepRuntimeError. That would be called every time there is an error on the station instead of just a specific SequenceFile.

Another route you can do is something similar to what I used with a customer. I had a similar situation where I didn't want Errors to show up and stop the test. Instead, if an error happened I would restart the test from a specific spot and ignore it. I only had to modify the MainSequence SequenceFile to achieve this. I attached a little demo example (let me know if you need a different version). If you put some breakpoints you can see that when an error happens, I'm basically getting rid of it in the SequenceFilePostResultListEntry. That works because I'm recording the subsequence call. The other thing that matters for this to work is for your Station Options to be configured correctly. Your station options need to be configure to "Run Cleanup" so that you don't get the popup. See Demo.zip.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,501 Views)

Thank yo so much for your help 🙂 which really helped me to modify sequence file to my needs by using SequenceFilePostResultListEntry call back which solved my issues 

But i have a doubt when i was exploring  what if we have a Valid seq call in one of the error seq call .How do we still continue that sequence execution instead of going to cleanup section [ if error occurred in 1 step report that error and continue with the next step instead of skipping all the sequence step

if i am not wrong in the above situation do we need to use StationPostStepRuntimeError in stationcalback.seq to continue execution ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,478 Views)

As for your doubt. You are right, if inside your subsequence you get an error, it will jump to cleanup using the Station Option I said. If your looking for that amount of control then you'd likely want a Station Callback.

Are you trying to manage these errors or are you just ignoring them in general? It seems like you almost just want to ignore them?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,474 Views)

i have set of pre-defined errors which need to be skipped for sometimes but apart from those error i am logging error codes and aborting the test sequence. .

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,471 Views)