NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add dynamically called files to a teststand workspace?

I am using TestStand 4.1.1 and LabVIEW 8.6.1 to try and install dynamically called VI's into a TestStand workspace.  I am following the instructions on pp. 14-8 through 14-10 in the TestStand Reference Manual (May 2008) edition.  So far I have not been successful, and the instructions are not clear.  For example, I cannot see in the instructions anywhere that I am supposed to add my test sequence.  Should the test sequence already be loaded in the project before this set of instructions is followed?  Could someone clarify this set of instructions for me? 

Then when I get a successful build, I would like to try out the deployment and installation on a target computer.  Please provide a detailed and clear set of instructions on how this can be accomplished.

Also, is there anyway to do this without building an installation?  Originally I just wanted to create the deployment without an installation.  But please explain both ways. 

Thank you.

epsilon-delta

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,145 Views)

Epsilon,

What are you using dynamically called VI's for? Are you adding dynamic VI's to LabVIEW, or to TestStand? If you are calling from TestStand, you don't need to do anything, the deployment utility will do all of the work for you.  The section on adding dynamically called files to a workspace listed in the Test Stand Reference Manual  is a mini-tutorial, and not exactly step by step instructions. All you need to do to add dynamically called VI's is to add them to your workspace file, and make sure the TSW is saved before you build your deployment. The example right before that one, covers how to deploy from a TSW, and mentions that you need to add your sequence file to the project that is in the workspace.

The steps needed to deploy a sequence is as follows:

1. Create a new workspace file
2. Right click on the workspace file and select "Add a project"
3. Right click the project and select add additional files (here you should add your sequence file and any files that are dynamically called (e.g. VIs))
4. Go to Tools --> Deploy TestStand System
5. Check "Deploy Files from TestStand Workspace File"
6. Select the appropriate file path where you saved the workspace file
7. Add in a path for the location you want to store your deployable image (for instance your desk top)
8. Go to the distributed files tab and select "yes" to analyze the source files [here you will find all the files you chose to include with your distribution, this is automatically populated from the workspace and its dependencies), if you are deploying and plan on using a User Interface and not the TestStand Sequence Editor, here you would need to include the UI as well
9. If you were making an installer, you could check the "Create installer" box under installer options and specify a location. Also here you could click on the drivers and components box to add additional driver installation (only if you are building an installer)
10. Click on build status, then build

You can also reference the same manual 14-7 through 14-8 which goes through an example deployment, and installation on a target computer. 

After you build your installer, copy the files to the target computer and run the setup.exe to install to the new computer, what problems do you have? Do you get errors, and if so can you take screenshots of them? 

If you do not wish to create an installer, and you already have a user interface installed, and the TestStand engine on your target machine, you can just copy all of your files to the target machine, and run them normally. We generally recommend building installers, so that any missing dependencies on the target system could be installed, and the TestStand  deployment tool takes care of pulling out all the needed files for you (except for the dynamiclly called ones, which is why you need to add them yourself). If you want you can use the deployment tool to create an image and then move that image to the target computer. The image should have all of your non-dynamic files included, but still requires that your system have all needed components installed. Please let me know what part of the deployment, installation process you are having errors, and we can help you troubleshoot. I always recommend trying to deploy a very simple example sequence with no code modules, if you are having problems. This is always a good troubleshooting tip that will help to determine if the problem is with one of your systems, or with your specific sequence file. 

Richard S -- National Instruments -- (former) Applications Engineer -- Data Acquisition with TestStand
Message 2 of 2
(3,123 Views)