From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use a LabVIEW VI to control TestStand execution?

I am trying to figure out a way to control TestStand execution using a background LabVIEW VI (ie: TestStand is looping based on a local boolean. I want the background VI to change the status of the TestStand boolean.)

I use a second VI to call the controlling VI. TestStand calls this second VI, the second VI calls the control VI and passes the sequence context data to the control VI. Then the second vi exits so TestStand can continue executing. The problem is that the control VI doesn't seem to be talking to the TestStand sequence local. The sequence context is the same in both VI's, but when the control VI changes state, the TestStand local does not.

Is there any way to make this work? I don't want to
use TestStand's looping options for various reasons in this situation.

To use the attached VI's:
Call loop control 2.vi from TestStand
Make sure TestStand has a local boolean called StopLooping.
My program calls loop control 2.vi then enters a loop that uses the status of StopLooping as a prerequisite for the loop action.
Pressing STOP on the front panel of Loop control.VI should change the state of StopLooping.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,155 Views)
Hi Lars,

In the examples folder there are some examples for simple operator interfaces. In the programmer help file they is a section on creating a teststand engine and the steps involved. Uses these notes and say the LV simple operator interface you can match up the steps and how to achieve them. In the Resource Library under TestStand there are plenty of useful notes, code, presentations to help you on your

What you are trying to achieve is to start the teststand enine running from Labview. Open a sequence file. Once you have that sequence file loaded you can then start to manipulate the properties on that sequence, such as your local boolean.

Hope this gives some pointers
Regards
Ray Farmer
Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,155 Views)
Oh yes, the documentation. It's easy to get into a DEEP rut with everything there is to learn in this tool. Thanks for the insight into the desired operation, the examples have helped a lot.

THANKS!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,155 Views)