NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GetXML out of memory error

I get an "out of memory" error on a call to GetXML in the ReportGen_XML.seq file (see attached error message).  This happens when the results set is large, but I don't know exactly how to quantify the size.  I have successfully created XML files up to 14 MB in size.  Is there any way to avoid this error?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,264 Views)
After closing the Sequence Editor and opening it again, I ran the same sequence again without an error.  The XML file was 26 MB.  Then I ran the sequence again (without closing Sequence Editor) and the error occurred.  Seems like some memory is not getting freed.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,261 Views)

I experienced a somewhat similar behavior. When running a couple of tests on DUTs consecutively, which generate XML test reports of about 9MB each, I got an memory error when TS wanted to create the test report.

Only closing and reopening TS solved this problem, I couldn't figure out another workaround.

Regards,
gedi
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,239 Views)
Currently, the XML reporting format generates reports in such a way that it creates one string for the entire report, thus it requires the availability of a contiguous block of memory large enough to store this string.

When starting TestStand fresh, it is more likely that a large enough contiguous block of memory will be available for such large reports, than if the TestStand process has been open and in use for a while.

We are looking into making this better in future versions of TestStand, however, for the time being these limitations do exist when using the XML (or ATML) report formats. To workaround this behavior, you could possibly split the report up into smaller file sizes.

Hope this helps.

Manooch H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,220 Views)

Okay, we can work around the problem.  

Thanks, Mark 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,211 Views)
I'm having the same issue. Is there any way to either increase the amount of memory that the report generator can use, or dump the report incrementally? Thanks, - Steve.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,867 Views)

Steve -

The ASCII and HTML report formats handle this much better and do provide the option to "dump the report incrementally" however, the XML and ATML report formats currently do not support this functionality.

Manooch H.
National Instruments
Message 7 of 8
(3,833 Views)
Thanks, Manooch -- I switched to ASCII format and was able to get up to 6000 iterations with no problem. -S.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,762 Views)