From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error with switch executive - "a call to open the device failed"

Capture.JPG

Hello,

I am running a sequence and a NI-2593 switch card is in my setup. I have a bunch of switch executive calls in my sequence that call the virtual device that corresponds to the 2593 card at various points. Before I make any switch exec calls, all my instruments are initialized with standard initialize VIs that return instrument handles.

Why is switch executive trying to start a new session with the switch card?  And why would this fail? It is saying that the process "2593_init failed" .. but why is it trying to initialize the switch.. I've already done that in my code. See picture of error.

My setup:

Test Stand 2014 SP1

Switch Executive

PXI-2593 and PXI-2503 switch cards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,007 Views)

Hello,

Are you using Switch Executive simultaneously in both TestStand and Code Modules? This error can occur when both TestStand and LabVIEW are calling into the Switch Executive.

Marina B.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,967 Views)

I don't use LabVIEW to call switch exec, all I can think of is that NI MAX is often open at the same time as I debug issues.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,961 Views)

Hello,

Are you able to make these calls in Switch Executive itself? This would help determine where the underlying issue is.

Marina B.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,951 Views)

I have the same issues since yesterday. Made a TestSequence containing just one Step with Switching Properties. The NISE VirtualDevice doesnt matter. Same Issue everywhere.

Error Message:
An error occurred while performing the switch operation 'Connect' for the following device 'USE_PI'.
A call to open a session to the device failed.
Details:USE_PI_init returned an error: -1074135029 (0x%3).

In NI MAX i can Access the Devices as usual and its working properly.

NISE_error.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,781 Views)

Hi. I am having the same issue. Has this been resolved? Can you please share possible solutions?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,475 Views)

I gave up on switch executive altogether. In any case, it's usually unnecessary and an extra cost. Just use the standard free NI-SWITCH driver. It should be able to do 95% of your switching needs. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,468 Views)

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I just encountered this problem today.

In my case, one of the switch cards had been renamed in MAX after the virtual device was created but the virtual device did not update, so it was still trying to point to the old device name.

I had to recreate the virtual device with the new card name to get it to work. I have no idea if there is a smarter way to fix that...

Edit: It should be noted that the error code I got was different, so this may not apply to your case.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,043 Views)