From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -17300 When Calling Testexec.exe From Command Line

I'm attemping to call testexec.exe from the command line with the following call:

testexec.exe /runEntryPoint "Execute Test" "C:\Test Sequence.seq" /quit

Our custom process model contains the "Execute Test" entry point. However, when I run this code I get the following error:

"Entry point 'Execute Test' does not exist

Value Invalid or out of range. [Error Code: -17300]"

The error goes away if I set the Station process model to be the custom process model we have, rather than SequentialModel.seq.

The preferred behavior would be to have testexec.exe use the process model defined in the client sequence file rather than be forced to set the station model in order to run sequences from the command line.

Free CAR?

CTA, CLA, MTFBWY
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,707 Views)

Hello,

I have a few questions about your Sequence File settings and the Station's Model Settings.

First, you can bind a process model to the sequence file by going to Edit > Sequence FIle Properties... Under the Advanced tab, there are settings to require a specific process model. Based on the functionality you want (launch the sequence file to load the appropriate process model), it sounds like you need the Sequence File to be bound to your custom process model.

SeqFileProperties.JPG

Second, the Station Options will need to be modified to reflect that the sequence file will determine the process model, not the station. I am using this manual article: Station Options Dialog Box as a reference. This says:
"Use Station Model—Enables the Station Model control, which specifies the pathname of the station model sequence file. When you disable this option, no station model is in effect and individual sequence files have no process model unless they explicitly specify one. Usually, sequence files do not explicitly specify process model files."

--In your case, it sounds like the Use Station Model should be disabled to give the sequence file control over the process model.

and

"Allow Other ModelsAllows sequence files to specify a process model file other than the current station model file. When you disable this option, you can only load sequence files that do not specify a process model file and sequences that specify the current station model file as their process model file. Use the Advanced tab of the Sequence File Properties dialog box to specify a specific process model for a client sequence file."
--For your application, this needs to be disabled.

To set this, go to Configure > Station Options. Under the Model tab, you can disable Use Station Model and enable Allow Other Models.

StationOptionsModel.png

With these configurations, does running TestExec from the command prompt still produce an error? Do you notice different behavior when running the sequence file from the TestStand Sequence Editor and the TestExec?

Taylor B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,678 Views)

This behavior is only present when testexec is being called from the command line. The error does appear when opening the sequence file directly in either the editor or OI.

Changing the model settings has no effect on the error, I've tried all the combinations you mentioned.

CTA, CLA, MTFBWY
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,669 Views)

I can't edit my post for some reason but it should read that the error does NOT appear when the sequence is opened directly in the editor or OI, only when testexec is being called from the command line.

CTA, CLA, MTFBWY
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,667 Views)

Ok I found the issue. It is with how the Entry Point is configured in the process model. I modified the Sequence Properties to be this:

ConfigureEntryPoint_edit.JPG

Notice the Entry Point name needs to be "Execute Test". Previously it was still set to "Test UUTs". That's why it was not recognized from the command prompt. Also, you chow add it to to the Execute menu by making the Menu Hint Execute.

And now the sequence file runs from the command prompt with the Execute Test entry point

Taylor B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,646 Views)

We had made those changes in our normal process model but I neglected to port them over to this example sequence. I made those changes but still see the error. I'm using TS 2010 SP1 and the LabVIEW-compiled version of TestExec on Win7 x64. I wonder if this got fixed in a later version.

CTA, CLA, MTFBWY
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,642 Views)

I'm using TestStand 2013, so it's possible that a change has been made. After making the above changes to the example, I was able to run the Test Sequence.seq using the CustomSequentialModel.seq from the command prompt using the "Execute Test" entry point. No error about the entry point missing. 

Taylor B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,639 Views)

Another solid reason to upgrade to the latest and greatest.... 🙂

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8