NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic sequence file creation

Dear all,

I have the following queries with respect to customization of TestStand using C#

Please help me to get rid of these problems

Query 1: Is there any way to convert an XML file (Contains Step name, variables, dlls name, function name and parameters) into a sequence file? I have seen the Sequence Builder tool in NI example directory but this does not copy the Locals, Parameters values it just simply copy the step details alone. 

Query 2: Do we need TestStand Development license for Creating Sequence file dynamically?

Query 3: How to create Property Loader dynamically?

Query 4: How to use Force Fail/Force Pass/Skip during sequence file creation

Query 5: Say for eg. I have a sequence file with the 3 steps. Step2 and Step3 should execute only if Step1 has passed (precondition) also it has to execute step1 before execution of step2 and step3. How can I do that?

Any helps appreciated,

Thanks and Regards,

Madhu Sri

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,795 Views)

Hi Madhu Sri,

Query 1: The example you mentioned uses a text file, therefore you will require a xml routine to read in you data. TestStand will not do this. The steps you take to create a Local/Parameter is very similar to the steps you take to create Steps with in your Sequences. The TestStand Programmer's Help - Writing an Application with the API should help.

Query 2: If you are intending to create your sequences at runtime on your target system, then you will require a development license.

Query 3: Creating a PropertyLoader step is the same as creating a Test Step. It also depends on where to are going to clone a step, similar to how its done in the Sequence Builder example or whether you are going to use the Type Palettes. If you are going to do the latter then you will have to do some extra actions getting a reference to the Type Palettes. There are examples on the NI Web to do this as well as creating Data Types which you might need for your locals and parameters.

Query 4: You will need to set the Step Property  TS.Mode. This is a string and will require to be set to "Fail"/"Pass"/"Skip" before the step is executed.

Query 5: The order you insert steps into the Sequence will determine the order of executions. So Step 1 will be at index 0, Step 2 will be at index 1, Step 3 will be at index 2.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,795 Views)
Dear Ray,

Query 1: Please send me the linke/material that refers TestStand Programmer's Help - Writing an Application with the API. send some sample codes for creating sequence file dynamically other than the sequence builder tool.

Query 2: Suppose I create some sequence using this sequence builder tool. do i need Developement license in the system?

Query 3: Please send some examples for creating property loader step dynamically.

Querty 4: Consider a step has 5 operations to be done. At the end of the 2nd operation, i would like to skip the step. It should not tell the step status as "Passed/Failed" but i need the step status to be "Skipped". How can this be achieved using TS.Mode?

I tried setting TS.Mode = "Skip" at the end of the 2nd operation. Even then the step was executed and the step result was "Passed".

Query 5: you  misunderstood my question. my question is for each and every step the preconditioned steps needs to be executed. ie. suppose step1 should execute before the execution of step2 and also before the execution of step3. if step1 fails for step2, step2 should be skipped. if step1 passes for step3, step3 should be executed

Thanks and Regards,
MadhuSri

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,789 Views)

Hi,

Q1: In your SeqEditor, Menu Item Help, select TestStand Programmer Help

Q2: Yes, Basicaly if you are creating sequence files then you need a development license

Q3: OK, I'll try and get one to you later today.

Q4: If you are trying to set the Mode while the step is executing, ie in the steps code module, then that change will not take affect until the next time the step is invoked. Theyfore you have to set the mode before the step is invoked because its at that point that the engine checks the state of the step's mode.

Q5: Ok, not sure I know what your question is now, so I 'll have to re-read the original.

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,784 Views)

Dear Ray

I dont find the TestStand Programmer Help, may be it comes with Licensed TestStand Version. Could you please send me the document or help file.

If you have some sample code for converting XML into Sequence

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,764 Views)

Dear Ray

I dont find the TestStand Programmer Help, may be it comes with Licensed TestStand Version. Could you please send me the document or help file.

If you have some sample code for converting XML into Sequence file

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,764 Views)

Dear Ray

If you have some sample code for converting XML into Sequence file please

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,763 Views)

Dear Ray

If you have some sample code for converting XML into Sequence file please send

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,764 Views)

Dear Ray

If you have some sample code for converting XML into Sequence file please send it Us.

Thanks

Srini

Message Edited by MadhuSri on 06-06-2006 01:38 AM

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,764 Views)

Dear Ray

How to make a step as skipped thru coding.

ie. for Pass/Fail test in certain cases i would like to make the step as skipped instead of Pass/Fail. if i return true the step status  would be passed if i return false the step status  would be failed. what should i do to make the step status as skipped thru coding.

Thanks

Madhu

Message Edited by MadhuSri on 06-06-2006 01:47 AM

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,765 Views)