NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database configuration problem in TestStand 2016 64-bit

Hi,

I need to install a database for TestStand 2016 64-bit version. I get this error:
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8545D520E4E2F74986257CD60066E339

I chose Method 1 which NI Recommended. I installed Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition with basic, default settings. Then I changed provider string in Connecting String Expression in Database Options in TestStand to be as follows:

"Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.15.0;Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=C:\\Users\\Public\\Documents\\National Instruments\\TestStand 2016 (64-bit)\\Components\\Models\\TestStand Results.mdb;"

Still I get an error message:

An error occurred calling 'LogResults' in 'ITSDBLog' of 'zNI TestStand Database Logging'
An error occurred initializing a connection to a data link.
Connection String: Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.15.0;Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\TestStand 2016 (64-bit)\Components\Models\TestStand Results.mdb;

Do I still have a wrong provider in my string or what is the problem? What is the correct Connecting String Expression when using Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition which NI recommends?

Br,

Jick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,421 Views)

I think the issue lies here:

"Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.15.0;Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=C:\\Users\\Public\\Documents\\National Instruments\\TestStand 2016 (64-bit)\\Components\\Models\\TestStand Results.mdb;"

This is a connection string for an Access database, a SQL server connection string would look something like this:

"Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=serverName;" Initial Catalog=databaseName; User ID=MyUserID;Password=MyPassword;"

Did you build the connections string using the builder dialog? If so, what provider did you choose? 

That being said, I would still expect the connection string you listed to work just fine as long as the Access Runtime called out in that KB is installed. You need to make sure to get the 64-bit version... and I'd advise against using the Access 2016 Runtime - there is a bug with it that causes issues when reopening connections to the same database (which TestStand does).

Hope this helps!

Trent

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
Message 2 of 5
(3,403 Views)

Hi,

I changed TS and LV versions back to 32-bit because my development work for the project has just started and it is still easy to switch back. 32-bit versions seems to work just fine with our database. So, I didn't try your methods but maybe someone else benefits from them. Thanks for your help anyway!

Br,

Jick

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,388 Views)

Hey Jick,

Do you know what kind of memory requirements your project has? That's the concern I have when deciding between bitness - this white paper offers a good explanation:

Memory Limits of TestStand Systems (its parent guide is also a good reference).

This is usually only an issue for long running tests where the report gets very large. If you're just logging to the database, setting it to on-the-fly and choosing the "Discard Results or Disable Results when not Required by Model" Model Option, should keep memory usage low.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
Message 4 of 5
(3,379 Views)

Hi,

My tests are not very long and thus no long reports are generated. I also think that there is no massive memory consumers. So, I think 32-bit is just fine.

Br,

Jick

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,328 Views)