From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting a string to an int (returning null, not zero)

Solved!
Go to solution

I need to convert a string to an int, however, if the value does not convert directly to an int, I would like it to return null, rather than 0 (which Val() returns).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,432 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BIOSphere

Hi,

You can use the following expression to convert a String into an Int:

Locals.Number = Str(Val(Locals.String),"%d") == Trim(Locals.String) ? Val(Locals.String) : NAN

If Locals.String contains an integer then it will assign the value to Locals.Number, otherwise it will assign NAN.

I hope this helps,

Charlie Rodway | Principal Software Engineer | Certified TestStand Architect (CTA)

Computer Controlled Solutions Ltd | NI Silver Alliance Partner | GDevCon#1 Sponsor

Message 2 of 4
(2,417 Views)

Thank you!

What if I need that number to be in decimal format (ie. 3.270)?

I noticed that when I type a decimal in, it will not format it correctly into an int.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,396 Views)

Hi,

If you need it to work for decimal numbers, rather than integers (whole numbers), use the following expression:

Locals.Number = Str(Val(Locals.String),"%g") == Trim(Locals.String) ? Val(Locals.String) : NAN

Kind regards,

Charlie Rodway | Principal Software Engineer | Certified TestStand Architect (CTA)

Computer Controlled Solutions Ltd | NI Silver Alliance Partner | GDevCon#1 Sponsor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,385 Views)