NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CTD future and Career growth

Hi all,

I am Srikrishna.J and i am recently a CTD(Certified TestStand Developer).My question is how my future as CTD is going to be and how my CTD is going to affect my career growth?

Best replies will get lot of kudos..Smiley Very Happy

Regards,

Srikrishna.J

Regards,
Srikrishna

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,032 Views)

I woud think a CLAD or CLD would open more doors for you in terms of jobs.  In my opinion a CTD is similar to a CLAD and not a CLD.  Only because it is multiple choice.

I think as companies start to realize more and more that it is a waste of energy, time, money and resources to create their own ATE (Automated Test Executive) in LabVIEW and that an off the shelf solution (TestStand) is a much more efficient, feasible way to go then you will see the market for TestStand engineers pick up.

However, I think it takes a lot more to know LabVIEW because you have to understand Computer Science.  With TestStand there are some algorithmic decisions to be made but it is generally a straight forward sequencer.  Usually all of the hard code is done in an external language such as C# or LabVIEW.  That's why I feel it is more valuable to know LabVIEW.

Also, it depends on what you want out of your career.  For example I love doing framework development.  Therefore a CTD or CTA are really good options for me. 

The nice thing about NI certifications is that it levels the playing field.  If an applicant has a certification on their resume then I know at least they have a certain level of knowledge.  This way I don't have to guess whether or not they might have a certain skill.  Because if they passed the test then chances are they have that skill.

Hopefully this help some.  It is my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 3
(3,018 Views)

My opinion:

CTD / CTA itself is not very exciting to me.  CTD or CTA combined with a CLD/CLA is a door opener.

My experience -- certifications do not help greatly for internal career growth (at least for non-alliance members).  They help a lot if you are looking to grow your career elsewhere.

Message 3 of 3
(2,975 Views)