NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Architecture Help/Advice - new to TestStand

I am new to TestStand and CVI. I need to implement a custom Ethernet based communication protocol between our test station and UUT. I would like to write a "mid layer" software application that will take high level commands/parameters entered by the TestStand coders and translate them into the hex based Ethernet commands to get sent to the UUT. For example, the high level command might be “run BIT test #4”. This would get passed as a variable to my low level program which takes “run BIT test #4” and translates it to the appropriate hex value and sends it over the Ethernet port.

I thought I might write the low level hex command translations in a .net program (C#) and compile as a dll. What would you suggest for how to write the high level software (GUI) that the Test Stand coders will use to enter the UUT commands? I've only done a little coding in the past with C# which is why I want to use that language. Should I write another DLL "GUI" that the coders repeatedly call for each test step with the appropriate UUT commands that get passed to my "mid layer" dll? Someone mentioned I should look into a NI software product called NI Measurement Studio but I don't know what it is or how it would help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(914 Views)

Howdy, 

Here's my take on your question: 

You are implementing the low level code module that would be called by TestStand. TestStand can directly attempt to call code modules in a variety of code languages:

mwatkins_0-1601312178782.png

TestStand can indirectly call many others by using batch files. 

Heres the TestStand help for DLL Module

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052AA-01/tsref/infotopics/dll/

If they directly call your DLL there would be little or no documenation exposed on how to format the inputs, a wrapper could help with that.  

NI Measurement Studio? Maybe they meant LabWindows CVI? Which is NI's compiler for ANSI C development, has driver support for NI Hardware etc. NI Measurement Studio is soft  front panels for NI hardware. 

Sr Test Engineer at American Innovations - LabVIEW CLA - Kudo's are appreciated!!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(815 Views)