cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a New User using Labwindows/CVI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi 

I really need help as i am strugggling to find a solution.

I would like to add a new user and to view the list of users using CVI?

When Adding the user i would like to add the full name and password as well.

I dont want to use this TS_EngineDisplayNewUserDialog as i want it to be done with out user input of all that information as i am getting the information from Active Directory.

Is this possible?

Kind Regards 

Shakeel

Help share your knowlegde
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,903 Views)

Hi Shako,

For clarification, I’d like to review the process of what you’re trying to achieve.

When someone logs into TestStand, you’re using a FrontEndCallback to call a CVI module. In this CVI module, you’re accessing the Active Directory to verify the username and password. If the User name and password are valid, then you’d like to add the username and password to TestStand. Is this correct?

Do you need to add the users in CVI or only use it for verification of the username?

If you want to add the user is TestStand, you could model a sequence call after the shipping example Creating & Deleting Users Using API.Seq

If you’d like to do it in CVI, you might be able to use TestStand API calls to accomplish this. I’ve attached a couple links that describe using API calls in CVI.

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/14378/en/

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375070b.pdf#page=121

Do you have any code written or is there a specific step that’s giving errors?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,873 Views)

Hi Captain_K

Thanks for the reply.

Quote : "When someone logs into TestStand, you’re using a FrontEndCallback to call a CVI module. In this CVI module, you’re accessing the Active Directory to verify the username and password. If the User name and password are valid, then you’d like to add the username and password to TestStand. Is this correct?"

This is correct although My initial plan was to discard the Teststand user manager and use the CVI Module to manager the users. Is this possible?

But i did not know how to do this as it seemed taht the suer manager is deaply intergrated as part of teststand.

Quote : "Do you need to add the users in CVI or only use it for verification of the username?"

As i mentioned above my intial intention which i forgot to mention before. I would like to bypass the Teststand user access control if possible and login with a CVI module using Active Directory.

If this is not possible, then i will need to use the CVi module to add the user to teststand so that i can reference the user when validating with CVI Module.

Quote : "If you want to add the user is TestStand, you could model a sequence call after the shipping example Creating & Deleting Users Using API.Seq"

I did have a look at this example sequence but could not login in without user input to login to an account and i require it to do it in the background automatically if the CVI module validates the user.

Quote : "If you’d like to do it in CVI, you might be able to use TestStand API calls to accomplish this. I’ve attached a couple links that describe using API calls in CVI."

Thanks of the links i will have a look into them shortly

Quote : "Do you have any code written or is there a specific step that’s giving errors?"

Sorry I dont have any code currently as i dont know how to achieve what i need yet

Kind Regards

Shako

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,843 Views)

Hi,

There is an TestStand example ( in the example folder) which you can refer to.You can modify this to suit your requirement.

This lists the API to add\delete a user.

C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\TestStand 201x (32-bit)\Examples\TestStand API\Creating & Deleting Users Using API\Creating & Deleting Users Using API.seq

Hope this helps.

Ravi

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,836 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shako

HI RaviShrigiri

Thanks for the reply.

i have found what i needed.http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand/Can-I-use-active-directory-to-validate-users/td-p/3299366

I have added the creation of a new user and adding to a group in the above project.

Kind Regards

Shako

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,804 Views)