Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realistic op amp models?

I'm trying to demonstrate what happens when you try to overdrive an op amp in the inverting amplifier configuration, but none of the models I've tried (including LF411, LM324) seem to be realistic. For example, when I set up a simple circuit to give me a gain of -10, with a sinusoidal input of 1.5V-peak, the transient analysis happily presents me with a 15V-peak  output voltage, no distortion, even though I have biased the device with +/-5V. Why don't I see clipping on the output? I'm assuming it's because there's something wrong with the device models....I'm really a newbie to Multisim, so I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!
sy
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,665 Views)
yosta,

You have to be aware of the model that is behind a component. Many op-amps have simplified 3-terminal models (no power pins) which are hardcoded to clip at +/- 15 volts. Fortunately many of these components have alternative models that you can choose. For example, when highlighting the LF411ACH component in the component browser, you have a choice of several models in the list box on the right. If you select LF411_3 and hit model button, you'll see that the SPICE model uses all 5 pins. Use this model and your simulation results will be more realistic.

Alec

Max
National Instruments
Message 2 of 3
(4,654 Views)
Alec,

Thanks....that was the problem...let that be a lesson to me...just because the device appears to have all the necessary pins doesn't mean that the model does anything with them....

sy
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,648 Views)