From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with connecting vias to ground plane

I am designing a double layered board (Top and Bottom layers). All the components, SMD & leaded were placed on the top layer and wanted a solid ground plane on the bottom side. i placed vias for smd components with ground net names, but when i create power plane on the bottom side; its not connecting with vias routed to ground nets in the design.

Is this possible?

Ultiboard version i am using is 10.1...

Kindly help in this regard..

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,411 Views)

Can you add a screenshot of your problem on the PCB?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,364 Views)

a predefined "property" of a via  is "assumed net". you can change this by left clicking on the via.  You would want to  set this assumed net to 0 (ground) 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,348 Views)

SMD pads are on one copper layer only, so there is no part of an SMD pad on the bottom side (as it is "by nature" with through-hole pads). AFAIK you have to place a via next to the SMD pad in question and connect the via to the net required (GND in this case). Usually SMD pads are too small to place a via "inside" the pad. I have seen it on many boards (and maybe designed some myself) and I do not remember having seen a via directly in the SMD pad, the vias were always placed near the pad. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,310 Views)