From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oscilloscope runs very slowly

Hello,

I am a new user with multisim and running circuit simulations altogether. I am trying to look at a simple square wave pulse with the following settings (below). I would like to look at this pulse over the span of 45 seconds or so. I am finding that the o-scope is running reallyyy slowwww. I can see when I adjust the timebase scale that the simulation is running in the micro-seconds range. How do I make it run at a rate of seconds? I have already tried adjusting the max time step under the "interactive simulation" settings. Is there another setting I can look into? 

Please let me know if you'd like to look at any other settings I have setup for this simulation. I believe I am running V14.2 of Multisim

Thank you for your help in advance!

Kyndal6_2-1594660105094.png

Here are my o-scope settings:

Kyndal6_0-1594659755840.pngKyndal6_1-1594659805812.png

Kyndal6_3-1594660704731.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,019 Views)

Hello, I don't know how the virtual oscilloscope in Multisim is implemented but I would consider two things:

1. The 1ps rise and fall times are very small compared to your period and are not realistic. I would set those to some more sensible value. For a 10s period, rise and fall times in the us or even ms range are plenty to obtain a square wave.

2. In a real oscilloscope the sample buffer length is finite and above a certain time base setting the oscilloscope will switch to continuous acquisition. It means that you will see a scanning/running waveform instead of a steady curve. This is also related to the sample rate. Again, it depends how much the virtual instruments mimics the real one.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,968 Views)

Hi Gabor, thanks for the reply. I was able to solve the issue by connecting EXT Trig on the Oscope to whatever I am measuring. In addition to that, I changed my interactive settings to TMAX = 1s and initial conditions set to zero. Changing the rise/ fall time of the input pulse didn't seem to make a difference, but that was handy info for real world simultions so thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,894 Views)