From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOSFET shows higher power consumption than expected

Dear all,

I appreciate if somebody help me to find the rabbit lost in the hat. I designed a half wave rectifier by using a P-channel MOSFET instead of a rectifier diode. The target is efficiency. However, it is not the case with my design due to excessive power consumption of MOSFET in the simulation which is around 2W @ 2 A. I used ideal 4-pin device.

• Channel-A in the first picture is drain current which is measured across 0.01ohm resistor. The peak current while MOSFET is ON at steady state is 2.7 A
  • Channel-B in the first picture is Vds which is 0.92 V while MOSFET is on at steady state
  • Second picture shows Vout and Vg switching waveform. MOSFET is OFF when Vg is high (36 V)

Multisim shows 1.9 W power consumption in steady state. It should be determined by Rds(ON) in simulation. I cannot understand/explain why there is 919 mV drop on the MOSFET while it is ON.

Any idea?

Best regards!

MOSFET Power Problem-1.PNGMOSFET Power Problem-2.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,913 Views)

Hello ihartavi,

Would you mind attaching your file here? Having your original schematics lowers the threshold for looking at it and trying to understand it.

Ingo – LabVIEW 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, NXG 2.0, 2.1, 3.0
CLADMSD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,883 Views)