From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to edit reference designators that have been generated automatically in a second or third hierarchical block?

I have a project in multisim that uses hierarchical blocks to duplicate a full adder. I should only need 5 chips for the 15 gates required, but the second and third hierarchical blocks automatically use U4,U5,U6 and U7,U8,U9. For example, I've tried to changing U5A, an OR gate, to U2B, as I only need three OR gates in total, so just one chip, but I don't see how this can be done.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,688 Views)

You can manage refdes' via Tools->Rename/Renumber components. 

From this dialog, there is an option to minimize the number of IC's you need by clicking on the "Gate Optimizer". You can also manually change the "RefDes" and "Section" individually.

Tip: since you can't have two "U3B"'s, you may need to adjust the "Section" value first (e.g. "B") and then the RefDes second (e.g. "U3") to work around naming collisions.

Mark J

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,676 Views)