Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I show multi-voltages in Multisim?

I am trying to place +12v, -12v and +5v voltages in my schematic to power IC's.

What symbol do I use? VCC is no good, cannot use more than one voltage applied to it. Change one, all change. Test_pt is no good, same reason. Is there a universal symbol that does not have to be used in simulation for voltages?

We do not simulate most of our boards. They are re-builds of old military equipment. Most of the parts are not even in production anymore.

Thanks for the help.

scotty544

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,695 Views)

Sorry, but I do it the simple-stupid way:

---- +12 -----

----  -12 -----

---- +5 -----

Tie analog ground (GND) between the + 12 and -12 supplies like so:

(-12) ----- +12 ---- GND ---- +12 ---- (+12)

Then connect the IC as necessary (using the (-12) and (+12) ends) via traces.  Yes, I know it can be a mess of traces, but I'd rather know what I have than guess how Multisim interpretted things for me.

Then, of course, tie your +5 supply to the ground.  Now every supply is referenced to ground.

If there is an easier way, it sure hasn't become clear to me.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,687 Views)

Just change the refdes of the Vcc supply connection and then it will be treated as a different supply.

i.e.   5V, n5V (for -5V ), 12V, Vref, or whatever.

You can set the voltage of each independently for simulations.   Each separately named supply is treated as a single net.

Just what you want.

David B

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,632 Views)

You'll get a warning about changing the supply name when you do it.  I think the only problem you might have is if you have components with invisible supply connections you may not end up with them connected correctly if you are not careful.

I always use explicit supply connections to avoid any confusion.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,629 Views)