Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data source name not found and no default driver specified in Ultiboard

Hi,

One of the features of Ultiboard is that you can open Protel DDB files as well... well, not on my computers 😞
I contacted NI in the Netherlands and there they could easily open my file and convert it to Ultiboard v10

On both computers I am getting this error "Data source name not found and no default driver specified" (in fact it is in Dutch)
and that would be "De naam van de gegevensbron is niet gevonden en er is geen standaardstuurprogramma opgegeven"

the situation: On my laptop, I have Win XP, and use a Ultiboard 9 Freeware as a viewer for small projects.
On the desktop, running with WIN2000, I run the latest Ultiboard v10 (after some licensing troubles).

Both computers give the same error message
When I search the net, I get results that tell me to check out my OBDC and so on, but that doesn't seem relevant to me...
If all goes well, there's a jpg of the error message attached..

By the way, the Protel DDB file is not that complicated (only 5 components, 248 kB file)
Can anybode help me out on this one?

Johan, a very stressed user at this moment
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,766 Views)
Johan, ODBC is indeed relevant, the component database on both Multisim and Ultiboard rely on ODBC for access to it. Do you have any special installation or settings on your database objects on those two computers?
Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,422 Views)

Nestor,

thanks for the reply, after a week of holiday, i'm back at the office.

On tte XP computer I triedto install Microsoft MDAC 2.8

After a whole lot of installing and other screens, windows simply told me that this functionality was not needed because allready integrated in my current Windows version...

Simply depressing... I'll try the same on the Win2K PC when I get to it...

On my PC's I have no other particular databases or software running that need particular software...

For the normal Ultiboard files I have no problem accessing the Ultiboard master and user databases... Only when I try to open a Protel file, I get this message... the Protel file actually never opens... I get the message straightaway...

Is there a setting or file that I can check in order to get closer to the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,397 Views)

Johan,

Can you please upload the file as an attachment? From what I'm reading on your post it does not seems to be a ODBC error or similar, it looks to be something specific with the Protel file.

1. Please upload the file, put it in a ZIP file.

2. Please give us complete details of the version of Protel in which the file was made.

Thanks!

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,391 Views)
Nestor,

I included the file as an attachment, the original file size was 248 kb, zipped 22 kb.
I was able to open the protel file on a 'old' evaluation version of Protel99 that was lying on the shelf, under loads of dust.. no problem opening it...
After I saved that file as binary file (.bin, not the .bin3, that didn't work) in Protel, I was able to open it in Ultiboard

The same file as you'll find here was sent to NI in the Netherlands where they had no problem opening it, and they returned it to me in an Ultiboard Ewprj format. Apparently no problem for them...

Thanks for helping me here...

Johan
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,370 Views)
Hi Nestor,

Any news?, were you able to open the file?
Or was anyone else on this forum able to open the file included in the above thread/message?
All help is wellcome! thanks

regards

Johan
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,295 Views)

Sorry, I was out of the office...

I tried opening your file, and I get a login dialog saying that is password protected. Is it?

Have you tried saving it in (.pcb) format?...  What version of Protel are you using?

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,281 Views)