Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a LabVIEW Based Virtual Instrument for NI Multisim - Missing Function?

Hi there,

I am trying to build an output instrument for NI Multisim according to the instructions here:

Community Admin Note: Document link has been removed due to invalid documentation.

The problem is that i cannot find the function i see labeled as "Gen Signal" anywhere in my Labview version (8.5) so i can

use it in the "Update Initial Output Data"case box! 

Excuse my ignorance, but i am new to LabView and unfortunately in electronic schematics as well.I am doing this project for my school assignment.

Is it available in another Labview version, or can you tell me where i can spot it so i can build my VI?

Thanks in advance.  I hope i posted on the right section...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(7,565 Views)

234123410… ,

I believe this is a basic wrapper VI around the basic function generator vi found in the Functions Pallette under Signal Processing -> Waveform Generation -> "Basic Function Generator.vi"... Basically the essential things are the controls (for controlling function, frequency, ampltitude) and the output waveform configured as a waveform data type array.

This wrapper VI and the actual template instrument sample VI for an output type instrument (meaning the VI outputs/generates a signal to Multisim) is found in the Multisim 'samples' folder...  in the samples location it is found in the /Output folder and is named "StarterOutputInstrumentV2.lvproj"... the associated VI is the "generate Simulated Data.vi" found within this sample project/llb.

These sample LabVIEW instruments (LV Projects and associated VIs) are found under the Multisim installation and can be found in one of two places... (depending on which OS you are using)...

C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\Circuit Design Suite 10.1\samples\LabVIEW Instruments\

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\National Instruments\Circuit Design Suite 10.1\samples\LabVIEW Instruments

Once you have completed, please contribute and post back to the forums if you'd like.

Regards,

Patrick Noonan
Business Development Manager
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
50 Market St. 1-A
S. Portland, ME 04106
Email: patrick.noonan@ni.com
Tel. (207) 892-9130
Fax. (207) 892-9508 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(7,560 Views)

I have found the .vi under  C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\Circuit Design Suite 10.1\samples\LabVIEW Instruments\ as you pointed.

But i can see only 2 inputs instead of 4 i need to have -according to the instructions in the .pdf- as "signal information" and "sampling info".

Is there a way to adjust it to have 4?

Has anyone built this output instrument and made it to work???
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(7,482 Views)

234123410… ,

I am a little confused as the document you have linked to applies to the "In Range" instrument which is an input type instrument, so "signal information" and "sampling info" may be different.   Keep in mind the way that input and output instruments work is slightly different:

Output instrument:

Direction is LV data into Multisim, updates a waveform (waveform has timing information embedded in it), waveform typically gets generated in the case titled "Update Data Get Output Values" .

Input Instrument:

Direction is Multisim data into LabVIEW, LabVIEW VI samples a transient signal, sepcified by Sample Rate and Interpolation Method (2 controls on VI's front panel).  The waveform is processed by the LabVIEW VI in the "Update Data" case.

To have more than 1 external pin/signal that is tied between Multisim and LabVIEW (for instance if you wanted to generate 2 or more waveforms instead of 1), you need to locate and modify the constant data 'Multisim Instrument Information' located within the block diagram of the "MyVI_multisimInformation" subVI.   You'll also need to make sure you are processing additional element(s) as needed in the cases mentioned above.

I built both the example input VI (In Range) and the output VI (Starter Output) and they appear to be functioning.  These VIs can be built (a .llb is created) from the associated project files (.lvproj), however let me know specifically what you need and I can post my version the source code for these if needed.

Regards,

Patrick Noonan
50 Market St. 1-A
S. Portland, ME 04106
Tel. (207) 892-9130
Fax. (207) 892-9508 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(7,474 Views)

Once again, excuse my lack of  knowledge on basics,but i am a starter...

I just need to built an instrument to direct data from LabView to multisim,and this approach is the most helpful instructions i have found this far.

I thought that by using the InRange instrument and completing the "Update Initial Output Data" case would be enough to make the instrument function properly.Isn't that the case?

Have you built the starter instrument with a different approach? Made changes to the "Update Initial Output Data" case?

Please, post your version of the instrument if you would.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(7,470 Views)

i modified the constant data 'Multisim Instrument Information' but still, cannot find a way to alter the inputs of the 'signal generator' subvi.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(7,404 Views)

234123410…

Here is a very simple output example that you can start with.   Likely you are still having issues with either the build settings or something with one of the subVIs that is not properly being included for some reason.   I do notice that sometimes when a waveform VI from the Signal Processing Pallette that originally is coming from the NI_MABase.lvlib, it can sometimes have issues with the inclusion / build settings.  This seems to be an issue with the LabVIEW project build and not necessarily with the Multisim interface. 

So lets take a simple example as shown here...

The two core source files are "SimpleOutputInstrument.lvproj" and "SimpleOutputInstrument.llb".    The .llb contains the "Simple Output Instrument.vit" - which is the main VI, "Simple Output Instrument_multisimInformation.vi" which is the Multisim information VI to set the pins and Instrument name and "Simple Sine Waveform.vi" which is a simpler form of a sine wave generator (not using the NI_MABase.lvlib).

Using the .lvproj file, build the project as an .llb.   The result is "sines.llb" which needs to be placed in the lvinstruments folder C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Circuit Design Suite 10.1\lvinstruments...

See if you can run this VI and then try to build the .llb with my same source VIs and let me know the results.

Best Regards,

Patrick Noonan
50 Market St. 1-A
S. Portland, ME 04106
Tel. (207) 892-9130

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(7,336 Views)
I'm afraid i can't run it. I will get the evaluation version of LabView 8.6 from NI and post back the soonest.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(7,269 Views)

234123410… ,

Can you get the sines.llb to load and run in Multisim?    This file needs to be placed into the following folder and then relaunch Multisim:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Circuit Design Suite 10.1\lvinstruments

Regards,

Patrick Noonan
50 Market St. 1-A
S. Portland, ME 04106
Tel. (207) 892-9130
Fax. (512) 683-7754

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(7,265 Views)

I placed "sines.llb" in the folder  C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Circuit Design Suite 10.1\lvinstruments as you specified.

In Multisim now, and Simulate/Instruments/LabviewInstruments i have 5 options  (micriphone,speaker,signal analyzer,signal generator,streaming signal generator)

I assume i must use Signal Generator on the circuit right? What is appropriate to add to the circuit so i can test the starter output instrument?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(7,235 Views)