Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thermocouple inputs for ni-usb-6008

I have an ni-usb-6008 to which I'd like to bring in a few thermocouples for very high speed logging (1000 samples per second would be nice - we can probably live with 200).  I can do the conversion from mV to temperature using the published polynomials later off-line after I collect the data.  I believe I need to amplify the 0-70 mV signal from the thermocouple to get a decent resolution on the ni-usb-6008 analog input.  Does NI already have a solution to this?

-Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,719 Views)

Hi Chris,

This KB discusses in more detail what is involved with taking thermocouple measurements with a USB-6008.  As well, there are a few others that have discussed this in discussion forums in the past:

Hope this helps!

aNItaB

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,706 Views)

Just curious why you feel you need to sample thermocouples so fast?  Typically, they do not react anywhere near that fast.  In fact, the fastest reacting one in section 6.2 here (http://www.w-dhave.inet.co.th/Thermocouple.html) is 0.01 seconds.  So, I guess if you have that situation, and you want to go 2x or more for Nyquist, then you are doing the right thing.  But if not, you may want to reconsider your sample rate.  Obviously I don't know anything about your application, but this is just my $0.02.  I typically do not sample thermocouples faster than 1 sample per second.

Ed DeWitt

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,702 Views)