Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strain gage - pci-6024e - cb-50lp

Greetings All

I am very naïve in the field of DAQ, but I have do some experiments to measure load using strain gages. What currently I have with me is PCI-6024E DAQ card, CB-50LP connector board and LabView software on windows XP. I have to use these instruments and buy some strain gages and use them for my experiment to measure load. Can anybody in the message board can help me out to what type of strain gages to buy and in which ports do I connect them to the connector block? And I think I know how to create a VI in LabView once I get these connections right.

I would appreciate if anyone who has worked with similar set up before or anyone who has any idea about this could help me out.

Thank you

Mekdeng

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,848 Views)

Hi,

Since you are only using a DAQ card for strain measurement, I suggest you plan it out on these two aspects before deciding on the type of strain gage

• How you will take care of bridge completion resistors( if you need to use quarter / half bridges)
  • How you will provide excitation voltage for the strain gages.

Regards

Message 2 of 3
(2,836 Views)
Mekdeng,

Devchander is right. You need to worry about excitation and bridge completion. I would recommend purchasing a strain guage solution which incorporates both of these. If you are interested in purchasing additional NI hardware, you may want to look at SCXI or SCC. As for the connections to the DAQ card, this will depend on the external hardware you purchase. If your straing guage excitation / bridge completion network is reference to earth ground, a differential measurement will be best. If, however, your excitation and bridge completion are floating, you will want a referenced single ended (RSE) measurement. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Hope this helps,
Ryan Verret
Product Marketing Engineer
Signal Generators
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,825 Views)