From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

noise when acquiring analog signal from a floating signal source using NI PCI 6251

I am using a NI PCI 6251 multi functional DAQ card to acquire an anolog signal from a floating signal source (a PMT, photomultiplier tube). The PMT is connected to a custom built circuit board through a BNC cable. The PCI 6251 card is connected to the circuit board using a matching connecting cable from NI. The circuit board is wired in such a way so that the center pin from the BNC cable (signal) is connected to channel AI 0 of the PCI 6251, whereas the ground of the BNC is connected to channel AI 8. AI 8 is not connected to a AI ground channel. DAQmx VIs used in the program. In the program, AI 0 is configured as "differential". Through simple testing, it seems like the program and the program are working: as we increase and decrease the signal, the DAQ card sees it, reads it and displays it. However, the noise level is huge and seems to increase as the magnitude of the signal increases. Also the noise doesn't seem to be random, instead, it is showing a zig-zag pattern. Couldn't figure out where this "patterned noise" is coming from. I was reading the manual for PCI 6251 yesterday. While reading it, I had the impression that when a channel is configured as "differential" and the signal is coming from a floating signal source, I need to connect the reference channel (in this case AI 😎 to an AI Ground. Does this has anything to do with the "patterned noise" I am seeing? Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,694 Views)
Read this Link, Especially the 'Measuring floating signals' and Minimizing noise sections

It should help you
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,686 Views)