From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nidaqmxbase on ARMv7 (Beaglebone black)

Hello,

I am trying to integrate USB 6009 board in my software that runs on a BeagleBone black (debian on ARMv7).

I could run aiondemand (with DAQmx base firmware)and get samples but I cannot find code source for this program.

1) do you know where to find aiondemand code source ?

2) is there nidaqmxbase library for ARMv7 ?

3) is there a description of USB protocol to use for 6009 (or 600x) board ?

Regards,

Vicnet

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,281 Views)

Hi Vicnet,

I'm sorry, but I don't believe these are available.

NI's USB DAQ devices use a private protocol for configuring the device and sending/receiving data. Because the protocol is private, NI cannot share the format or example code for its USB DAQ devices. In addition, only a subset of the DAQmx Base library was ported to ARMv7 so the whole library is not available.

Finally, since ARMv7 support for NI USB 600x devices ( https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-25806 ) is an NI Labs project, the downloads which are posted in that document are the latest.

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
Message 2 of 5
(4,267 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for your answer (even if it is not a good news for me Smiley Wink ).

I just discover with you post that this web page was in Labs project !

I got this page diecrtly from google...

So I understand the state.

Smiley Frustrated More generally, why a private protocol for such device. There is no add value on protocol, not here.

NI sells boards not protocol.

I bought 2 boards that cannot be used now even if I had time to develop a driver (even more easily for a user space USB driver).

Currently, I need these boards only for counter.

Any suggestions ?

- get a small lib from NI on ARMv7 just to access counter ?

- sign a non-disclosure-agreement to get protocol specifications or lib code sources ?

- reverse ingeneering USB protocol ?

- leave NI boards, and try USB-DUX that has an open source protocol ?

Regards,

Vicnet

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,249 Views)

vicnet31 wrote:

More generally, why a private protocol for such device. 

To maximize both the throughput on the bus and the data's integrity.

USB devices are more complex and nuanced that what I'm saying here, but there is a key tradeoff a hardware designer must make when creating a USB device: does the device need gauranteed bandwidth from the host (aka isochronous transfers) or does it need to send/receive a lot of data (aka bulk transfers)?

Gauranteed bandwidth is desirable since USB I/O is round-robin controlled from the host -- even when another device on the bus monopolizes the bus, the host will periodically service an isochronous device. Cameras and audio devices usually choose this approach since everyone wants their video and audio to be both as real-time live as possible and without stutters. Unfortunately, isochronous transfers are allowed to drop old data in order to keep giving the host the newest data.

Bulk transfers are desirable since they can use the nearly the entire bandwidth of the bus, so that the data can move quickly. Flash drives and other external storage choose this approach. Unfortunately, bulk transfers aren't gauranteed a minimum bandwidth or latency, so communication can be 'bursty'.

NI created a private protocol to help bulk transfers behave more like isochrohous transfers -- a DAQ device cannot lose data (so bulk is a requirement), but a DAQ device should also be resonsive and fast (so isochronous is a desire). For more details, see NI Signal Streaming: Sustaining High-Speed Data Streams on External PC Buses at http://www.ni.com/tutorial/4636/en/ .

vicnet31 wrote:
Currently, I need these boards only for counter.

Any suggestions ?

- get a small lib from NI on ARMv7 just to access counter ?

- sign a non-disclosure-agreement to get protocol specifications or lib code sources ?

- reverse ingeneering USB protocol ?

- leave NI boards, and try USB-DUX that has an open source protocol ?

You can pursue the first two options by visiting http://www.ni.com/support/daq/usbddkForm.htm . For the third option, I seem to recall a few reports on the NI 6501's communication being studied and made into a library. Finally, depending on how you're using the counters, it might be even easier or cheaper to use a microcontroller from Atmel or PIC than a full device from NI or USB-DUX.

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,230 Views)

Hello,

With comedi ni_usb6515.c source code, I successfully get counter from 6009 module with libusb.

Thanks

Vicnet

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,156 Views)