From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

measuring multiple voltages with NI-9205

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello

For our project we are using the NI-9205 module to measure the voltage with 3 chanels. According to the Labview DAQ-assistant, we can use either RSE or differential mode. But no matter which one we use, the following problem arises:

Example RSE:

-We need to use 2 chanels to measure 2 voltages independently (but fed by the same battery): chanel (1) and (2) 

-The com-chanel (29 or 10) is connected to the ground or not at all (both version tested).

-When connecting a battery (3V) between (1) and (10/com) and nothing between (2) and (10/com), the chart/graph shows, that both chanels get 3V. Why is that? It makes sense for chanel 1 connected to the battery, but not for chanel 2, which is free/not connected or short cutted.

-When short cutting (2) and (10/com) (while keeping 3V between (1) and (10/com), it shows 0V for this chanel and 3 V for the other.

Since we want to use these signals for on-off controllers (trigger=3V), we dont want, that both actions get triggered, if only one chanel effectively has 3V.

When using the differential settings, we get the same problem.

I hope, our problem is clear, if not feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Nic

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,431 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sol_pow

Usual crosstalk due to multiplexing ....

If a 100k Ohm load doesn't hurt, just add it, a floating input can have any value..

Or have one channel with a short cut (say AI08) , read a channel list like (AI01,AI08,AI02,AI08,AI03,AI08)  and only use AI01-AI03....

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,404 Views)

Thanks a lot for your answer! 

It works much better than before and we could work with it. However, there is one strange thing with this method:

I short cutted AI01 with the com and connected AI02, AI03 and AI04 to the battery (+) and the battery(-) to the com.

-Connecting only A02 to the battery indicates that all channels (except for the short cutted one) give 3 volts.

-When connecting only A03, it tells me that A01 and A02 are 0 and the others 3 volts.

-Connecting only A04 to the battery, only A04 has 3 volts and all the others are at 0.

Does it react as you would expect? It would be nice to have 3 volts only for the connected chanel, but we could work with this, if it is not possible.

Again thanks a lot for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,390 Views)

Since I always expect the bad with multiplexed inputs, I try to avoid them 😉

Think of a capacitor (small but there) at a high impedance input. Now you (dis)charge it to a certain voltage (battery or short cut or...) .. if you leave it open it will only chage its potential by the current due to input impedance (>1GOhm) and the input bias current (to laisy to look up ... if it's even stated in the specs.. NI tends to write less and less in the specs...:(  )

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,324 Views)