Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between hardware timed single loop and continuous sample

hi 

i am taking data from a dc motor through pci 6221 daq card ,processing data in PID loop and then writing the results.

sampling rate is 1000S/s and i am reading single sample in the loop.

my questions are:

1. what is the difference between hardware timed single loop or continuous sample mode in their working? which one is suitable for my application?

2.what is the difference bw sample on demand and N sample read.

3.how to determine the writing rate at which data is being written?

vks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,827 Views)

@vks wrote:

hi 

i am taking data from a dc motor through pci 6221 daq card ,processing data in PID loop and then writing the results.

sampling rate is 1000S/s and i am reading single sample in the loop.

my questions are:

1. what is the difference between hardware timed single loop or continuous sample mode in their working? which one is suitable for my application?

2.what is the difference bw sample on demand and N sample read.

3.how to determine the writing rate at which data is being written?

vks

Hardware Timed Single just grabs that sample when requested.

Continuous means that the DAQ board is constantly taking samples at whatever rate you told it.  The samples are saved in a buffer.  When you perform a read, you are grabbing data out of this buffer.  You have to tell the DAQ to stop this task or it will just keep going.

N Sample Read is exactly what it sounds like.  When requested, the DAQ reads N samples at the rate you told it and returns it.

It sounds like you want the Continuous Sampling so that you keep your sample rate constant.

What are you writing to?  File?  Analog output?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,815 Views)

i am writing analog output and file too using queues.

please answer me the functionality of hardware timed single loop sample mode and how to determine the write rate while writing an analog output?  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,812 Views)

If you are just getting a single sample in your loop, you really can't determine your sample rate, especially if you are using Windows.  If you need consistant read and write rates, you need to use hardware timing.  The would include using the Continuous Sample mode for reading and then writing out waveforms to your analog outputs.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,809 Views)