Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data acquisition via GPIB USB HS, from EG&G PAR 273 potentiostat, which software should I use?

Dear all,

I have an EG&G Princeton Applied Research (PAR) 273 model potentiostat and a NI GPIB USB HS cable, interfaced with the potentiostat.

I am trying to control the device via the buttons on the front panel, and I would like to capture the data sent by the potentiostat via the GPIB interface. LABVIEW options unfortunately did not work quite well, and I would like a concrete solution.

Is there a reasonable data acquisition software which can capture the data from GPIB USB HS?

For electrochemical experiments, I am interested in cyclic voltammetry and square wave voltammetry only, so purchasing an electrochemical software will be a second option unless I can obtain good data from the software.

Thank you for your interest.

BA

Message Edited by barbaros_akkurt on 10-09-2009 09:06 AM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,541 Views)

There is absolutely no difference in the data returned from the instrument with different programming languages and each programming language will be sending the exact same commands to the instrument. If you cannot get your LabVIEW code to work correctly, then you will probably have the same difficulty in getting a program to work with another language.

Since your description of the problem is very vague ('did not work quite well'), I'm not sure what kind of help you can really get. If you want, attach what you have written and hopefully, someone with experience with the instrument can look at it and suggest possible changes.

Message 2 of 5
(5,538 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

You are right about the vagueness, because I am not "skilled" enough to tell what is happening. The colleague told me that there are some problems about the commands the potentiostat recognizes, and you are also right about this.

Let me rephrase my question: Is there a NI software which can detect, capture, or transfer the data stored in the potentiostat after a measurement has been done? I will look more closely at the front panel, about a key which might transfer the memory contents.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,528 Views)

LabVIEW and LabWindows/CVI have exactly the same capabilites to talk to a GPIB instrument. If you want something where you do little programming, you can probably use Signal Express but you would still have need to write the instrument communication software yourself (i.e. the "driver").

If there are problems with the instrument itself, then you will have to find a work around just as using something or issue different commands.

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 10-09-2009 03:47 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,526 Views)

BA,

Doing a search of PAR 273 on our website I found these 3 links and many others of people using this instrument, perhaps you can give this a try and see if you can learn from how they have connected to the instrument:

Square Wave Voltammetry

Bulk Electrolysis

Cyclic Voltammetry

Sincerely,
Jason Daming
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,474 Views)