From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update USB-TC01 Firmware

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a USB-TC01 device, and whenever I try to use it on my Windows 8 tablet it gives the error -201168, with the "Possible reason" text being this:

"Firmware for this device is too old.  

Upgrade the firmware for this device."

I get this error both when using LabVIEW 2011 and while trying to run the Self-test within MAX.  The device currently has firmware version 1.0.0f1, and I found a page (https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/tc01/blog/2011/05/23/ni-usb-tc01-101-firmware-update-now-avail... stating that there is a 1.0.1 version available, but conveniently the download link no longer works.  This device worked just fine on my Windows 7 desktop in the office last week, but now as I'm in the field I cannot get it to work.  I cannot remember what version of NI-DAQmx I'm running on my desktop, but my tablet has NI-DAQmx 14.5, and I noticed that the only versions of DAQmx listed are 9.1 through 9.9.  I can't imagine that they've removed functionality from future versions, but nothing about this situation makes any sense to me.  

Any suggestions?

Edit: It appears that DAQmx 14.5 still supports the TC01 after checking its hardware support list, so I don't know why the more recent editions aren't listed on the Driver Downloads page for the TC01.  And that doesn't help my current situation, where I guess the newer versions of DAQmx require an unavailable firmware update to function with the TC01.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(7,624 Views)

Hi macraw83, 

It looks like according to the datasheet for the NI USB-TC01, the device is not compatable with Windows 8 (see page 1)

http://www.ni.com/datasheet/pdf/en/ds-215

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(7,594 Views)

Hello.

I have the exact same problem, but I'm using LabView2014 under Windows7. DAQmx V14.5. 

If I use the DAQ-Assistant, it recognizes the device, but when i want to apply the settings the error message appears:

Error -201168 occurred at DAQmx Start Task.vi:7220002

Possible reason(s):

Firmware for this device is too old.

Upgrade the firmware for this device.

Channel Name: Temperature

Task Name: _unnamedTask<0>

How can i get the firmware upgrade? Is there another way to read data from the device?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(7,532 Views)

That data sheet was likely created before Windows 8 even existed, and they didn't bother to verify Windows 8 compatibility during any of the following revisions, since it seems to be a fairly old and relatively unused piece of hardware.  The way that Windows 8 works, it is compatible with any Windows 7 driver aside from any that are written to explicitly disallow compatibility with future versions of Windows.  The absence of "Windows 8" on the list doesn't mean that it isn't actually compatible.

I was able to get it working by uninstalling DAQmx 14.5 and installing DAQmx 9.9 in its place, but this is not an acceptable workaround for many.  I would like to know why NI saw a reason to remove the firmware update from its website, and what they expect us to do about it now, aside from using a deprecated version of its software.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(7,526 Views)

The device is also listed in the compatibilty list of the DAQmx 14.5. I'm using LabView2014 so downgrading DAQmx to 9.9 is not even an option for me (because it doesnt support LV2014). Invested already too much time into such a cheap device...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(7,522 Views)

I also noticed that it was in the device compatibility list for 14.5 (it was in my edit in the original post).  I assume that the newer versions of DAQmx made some change that requires a firmware update to make older hardware work for whatever reason, but why they would make this firmware unavailable (and why it wouldn't be included in the 14.5 download) doesn't make any sense.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(7,517 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author macraw83

Hello Macraw83,

Actually the firmware for the device was updated and DAQmx 14.5 and later version will look for this newer firmware.  

You can download the utily to update the firmware of your NI USB-TC01 from the next link:

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-instantdaq-firmware-update-utility-1.2/5284/en/

Regards,

Regards,
Daniel M.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
Message 7 of 12
(7,170 Views)

Thanks for finally resolving this issue for me.  I'll run the firmware update as soon as I get a chance.

I notice that the listed release date is after my initial post, which would explain why I was unable to find it.  While I am still at a loss for why NI would release an update to MAX that requires a firmware update to a specific piece of hardware without including the firmware update with the package or at least providing some way of ensuring that we are able to access the update, at least now hopefully it should work going forward.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(7,161 Views)

Hey,

If this answers your question, please mark it as the solution so other people that reads the forum knows it!

Thanks! 

Regards,
Daniel M.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(7,144 Views)

works fine for me!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12