From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB DAQ control with PI(D)

I am trying to build a PI controller:

Windows 7, USB-6251 DAQ BNC, normal Labview 2011 - no toolkits, not even the Control and Design one.

The datasheet for the USB DAQ says

"With four waveform analog outputs, two 80 MHz counter/timers, and four high-speed data streams on USB, M Series devices can execute multiple control loops simultaneously."

I have not been able to do this, even with my own PID.  What does "high speed" mean?

The USB DAQ *does not have* hardware timing so the following won't work.  I need basically exactly this, but with a USB DAQ device:

12fbdcae1641.gif

The closest I've come to a successful version is the following (thanks to a member here), but it's very slow (50 ms delay between original signal and output signal).  My only sample clock options are "continous" or "finite" samples:

slooow.png

Without moving to a real-time system (expensive and complicated), or buying new hardware (expensive), are there other algorithms that would work faster?  producer/consumer, state machine...?

The delay seems to be in the writing, not the reading.  

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,229 Views)
I believe the high speed refers to the high sample rates available with especially the analog input and output on USB.

You do have hardware timed I/O but apparently not single point hardware timing. What is the sample rate and number of samples that you specify? With non-regeneration mode for the analog output, the entire buffer had to be written each time. How many points are you writing? Have you tried a single point? What sort of rate do you need?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,216 Views)

I've tried various rates and # of samples.  In the case of this working code, at 1kHz rate, the time for input/output (whole loop) is 1ms per sample.  e.g. 500 samples = 500 ms...  Sample rate does not affect this. Increasing sample rate, of course, leads to "The application is not able to keep up with the hardware acquisition."

I want to get below 10 ms read/write, which is something like 100 samples and 15 kS/s, nominally. But of course... "not able to keep up"

This is for feedback control, so a single point as fast as possible would be ideal,  but if I have to output a waveform, which it seems I do, I need that waveform to be short in time.  So,  100 samples, 15 kS/s = 6ms of data, if I understand right.

If I set it to a single point, I get about a 5ms delay, but only a very low sample rate is available (about 200 Hz) and my output signal is heavily digitized, meaning anything that changes faster than say, 5 Hz, won't be controlled quickly.

I suspect USB DAQ devices are bad for fast feedback control loops.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,210 Views)