From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 4431

Hello,

I would like to measure vibration in the range of 5-500Hz. Can I use USB 4431 with the appropriate sensors.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,817 Views)

You could use it with some work. 

I would suggest that you Google the specs of the 4431. If you do so, you will find that the minimum sampling rate is 1000 Sa/s. So you will need to do some data processing with the acquired signal to have a rate between 5 - 500 Sa/s. You can take the mean, median, max, min, etc.

mcduff 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,802 Views)

Dear mcduff,

First of all I need to tell you that I am not an electrical person. So my understanding of electrical instruments is very minimum. 
1. If I used sampling rate greater than 1000Sa/s, do I still need to do post-processing on the signal of 5-500Sa/s? I have been using DAQ 6289, and there was no post-processing required.
2. Is this USB 4431 compatible with geophones adapted with BNC connectors?
3. How do I protect the USB 4431 in areas of heavy electrical interference/noise? Is there a way to ground the equipment?
4. Is it possible that I try out the USB 4431 with my geophone before I decide to purchase it for my personnel research related to measurement of vibration in the ground?

Regards
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,747 Views)

@kamn56 wrote:

1. If I used sampling rate greater than 1000Sa/s, do I still need to do post-processing on the signal of 5-500Sa/s? I have been using DAQ 6289, and there was no post-processing required.

Not sure I understand your question. The minimum sampling rate for the 4431 is 1000 Samples/s; if you want less than 1000 samples per second, you will need to do post processing. If the extra data doesn't bother you then you don't need to do anything.

@kamn56 wrote:

2. Is this USB 4431 compatible with geophones adapted with BNC connectors?

I have no idea. The 4431 is an IEPE enabled 24 bit digitizer. The 4431 can output ~2 mA of DC current to excite an IEPE sensor. I know nothing about your geophone.

@kamn56 wrote:

3. How do I protect the USB 4431 in areas of heavy electrical interference/noise? Is there a way to ground the equipment?

There is a grounding pin in the back. Shielding and grounding is site specific, so I cannot answer your question.

@kamn56 wrote:

4. Is it possible that I try out the USB 4431 with my geophone before I decide to purchase it for my personnel research related to measurement of vibration in the ground?

You can talk to your NI Rep.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(1,734 Views)

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,387 Views)

Hi mcduff ,

May 4431 work with a external sampling clock?

Or is there a USB multifunction card that have a 24 bit resolution and may work with external sampling clock?

Best Regards. Have a nice day.

Zhang ming 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(1,001 Views)

@zhm0204 wrote:

Hi mcduff ,

Or is there a USB multifunction card that have a 24 bit resolution and may work with external sampling clock?

Zhang ming 

Some USB cards have PFI inputs that allow one to use an external sampling clock. The 4431 has PFI inputs in the back on the 9 pin connector; no idea if they support an input for an external clock. As far as other cards goes, the NI website has all the information; I do not know of any model offhand.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(990 Views)

@zhm0204 wrote:

Hi mcduff ,

Zhang ming 

Unfortunately, No, Delta-Sigma modulators in DSA cards cannot take an external sampling clock as the clock has to be continuously running in order to work.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019OVZSA2&l=en-US

https://www.ni.com/en-us/innovations/white-papers/10/benefits-of-delta-sigma-analog-to-digital-conve...

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(912 Views)