Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SC-2043SG

How can I attach 2 SC-2043SG units to an AMUX64T multiplexer. AMUX board goes to a PCI board running Lab View software.
Test Requirements: acquire 16 strain gauge measuruments using AMUX+pci board.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,507 Views)
Hello,

If you happen to have the 2002 catalog, you can check out page 490 which has configuration information for multiple SC-2043-SG's.

The key is the SC-2056 board that breaks out the right number of channels to the right SC-2043-SG's.

It sounds like you would like to use the 50-pin connectors on the AMUX-64 to get to the 50-pin connectors on the SC-2043-SG. However, the AMUX boards are programmable in the sense that when you configure your DAQ Board, you can add 1, 2, or 4 AMUX-64's as an accessory. The AMUX-64's know to route their channels through the correct pins to the daq board. This is the main purpose of the 50-pin connectors on the AMUX boards (in addition to exposing counters, and analog output from the DAQ Board).

Cabling the SC-2043-SG i
n to the AMUX-64 would have the AMUX-64 amplifiers driving the same lines that your SC-2043-SG amplifiers are driving. Similarly, chaining the SC boards will have the same result - they will be trying to drive the same lines.

Since the SC-2043-SG's don't have the same chaining functionality built in to them as the AMUX-64's, the pins need to be routed to the right place on the DAQ Board. The SC-2056 that I mentioned does that - it sends the right channels from each SC-2043-SG to the right pins on the DAQ Board.

If you wanted to do some custom cabling, you would want to start at the DAQ Board (in the Connections section of the user manual for your board), and find the pins you want. Then connect those pins to the right ones on each SC-2043-SG (also in the Connections section of the SC-2043-SG user manual).

To the best of my knowledge, the SC-2056 needs one of the 100 pin DAQ Boards to connect to it.

I hope this gets you what you need. I wasn't able to pick out exactly what y
ou need since I couldn't tell what PCI board you are using.

Regards,

John Nieri
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 5
(2,507 Views)
John,
Thanks for the information. You asked about the current system here:
PIC-MIO-16E-4 + AMUX-64T
Using this set up, I try to find an economical solution to acquire data from 16 strain gauges ans 2 pressure transducers. We have amplifiers for P transducers but nothing for strain gauges. Using SC2043-G could be one possibility. But, I'll need 2 SC-2043G's to do that. And from your comment (please correct me if I'm wrong), I understand that, AMUX64T is not a good medium to connect two SC2043, and I'll need SC-2056 to do that. Is it possible to connect two SC2043, 2 pressure signals (0-10V or 0-5V) to PCI-MIO-16e-4 using this SC-2056?
Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,507 Views)
Hi,
Since you are using a 68 pin board, I think there is no way to use the SC-2056 (and thus no way to use multiple SC-2043's). You could use the SC-2050 with one SC-2043. Here is a previous exchange about this subject.

If you already have the 68 pin E Series board, and don't already have all these SC parts, I recommend you consider an SCXI system that would let you use many strain gauges and other conditioned signals as well as unconditioned signals (your 0-10V signals). If you are interested, I can post a possible configuration.

I hope this reply is in time to hel
p you. If you prefer to contact an Applications Engineer or an Inside Sales Representative directly, we could quickly help you work out a good solution.

Regards,

John N
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,507 Views)
A couple more thoughts I had...
If you already have the SC equipment, an alternative is to get a 100 pin E Series board so that you could use the SC-2056 and up to four SC-2043-SG's.

The catalog notes that you can't use multiple 2043's with an AT-MIO-64E-3 (there are other, more modern 100 pin E Series boards).

If you look into SCXI with a sales representative, make sure to get the SCXI-1346 connector block rather than the SCXI-1349. The SCXI-1346 will allow you to break out your remaining, unconditioned channels for the extra 2 pressure signals that you have. They should know the parts you are talking about if you mention this to them.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,507 Views)