cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Order of execution of blocks in LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

I am  beginner  in LabVIEW. I what is the order of execution of block diagram code in LabVIEW. Is it from left to right or right to left ? or Is there any preference for order of execution like higher priority for loops or any thing like that ? 

Being a c programmer I am thinking in that way. Is it good to compare and understand Labview in that way or Is it completely different architecture ? please correct my way of understanding things if I am going in a wrong direction as beginner. I am attaching a example block diagram, may be you can explain with it

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(9,009 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Neo6

LabVIEW does not execute left to right, top to bottom, front to back, or any other physical way on the block diagram. LabVIEW is a DATAFLOW programming language and it is  the movement of data that determines execution order. There is a section in the LabVIEW Help called 'dataflow programming model' that you should read. In the image you posted, you will notice VIs connected with their error in/error out wires. These connections are often used to enforce execution order. Also, because of it's western heritage, inputs are usually placed on the left side of a VI and outputs on the left so you will typically see VI placed left to right but that is just for readability. If there is no data connecting separate VIs on the block diagram, they will execute in parallel.

Message 2 of 6
(8,995 Views)

HI Dennis,

Thanks for helping beginners like me... That article was helpful... I found out same article as video illustration  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28StXiZFDo8&feature=plcp  This channel is very helpful like beginners like me..

Message 3 of 6
(8,989 Views)

It's been a while but I remember there was a debug option you can turn on that would highlight the dataflow on the block diagram.  With this option on, the block diagram would animate as the data flowed from function to function so you can see how the program operated.  Very useful for understanding how LV works.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(8,967 Views)

It is called Execution Highlighting.  Turn it on by clicking the light bulb on the Block Diagram toolbar.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(8,957 Views)

Thnx to all... got it   🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(8,931 Views)