Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need cf-6004 plug specs/configuration for project

This is a hail Mary but ...can anyone tell me what the plug on the cf-6004 is called (not the 50 pin compact flash end, the other side that face out of the pocket pc).  I don't have the board physically in front of me (ordered), but even then it may not help - I doubt I would know for sure what the plug type is called even if I could see it. There should be 15 pins since the adapter cable for the NI breakout board has 15-pins and is a simple 15 pine D-sub, but some are apparently unused so it may be fewer.  It is of course not standard issue for compact flash cards, as far as I am aware, to have these outputs.    I'd like to know the format/name of the plug that goes into the cf-6004 so I can order parts to build my own interface.

To filter out a few of the most obvious but well-intentioned suggestion people will think of...the manual has a pin out and a picture of a D-sub 15 (the OTHER end, not the part that plugs into the card itself). That is not any help.  I can't find any information or a drawing of this plug.   No, I don't want to use the cable and the breakout box, except for development. Frankly I don't know why anyone would attach a giant thick and stiff cable and a breakout box that is probably bigger than the pocket pc itself to a pocket pc.  I'm a bit surprised there are no other product accessory options such as a PCB breakout, or better yet a plug to PCB connector.   I want to build a type of cradle that will allow the handheld and card to seat directly into a plug connecting to a PCB with all the sensing hardware, etc.

Can anyone help me with this, or make suggestions - I just need enough to order some part that may work.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,846 Views)

15 pin D-sub connector?

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/searchresults.aspx?N=0&Ntk=Primary&Ntt=15+pin+dsub

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,840 Views)

No, as I mentioned above, the dsub 15 is on the other end of the cable. Compact flash II is 5mm thick - dsub is 8.48 mm.  However the pin rows are 2.84 mm apart.  The pins *might* fit but not the metal shield - in which case would it still be called a dsub? I don't know for sure untill I have the card, but I think the pin sockets on the compact flash care are closer than that. I think the plug is simular to the multi-pin sync plugs you find in iphones etc., but I think those have 24 pins, sometimes.  At any rate I don't know what those are called either. LOL

There is a drawing of the NI cable in the cf-6004 manual (next to the pin out) and the plug on the CF end looks different (narrower?) but the drawing is too small, and not even intended as an accurate drawing, so it is impossible to tell.  It would be great if the pin placement themselve were the same as a dsub 15, but I doubt it.

Get me the name of the plug on the OTHER end of the NI cable, the one that plugs into the COMPACT FLASH format cf-6004 and I will be very happy.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,836 Views)

For a drawing of the cable (best available) see this web page:

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371399c.pdf

On page 2 there is a pictue of the cable.  The DSUB 15 is on one end.  What is the name of the plug on the other.  Perhaps someone with have an idea from the picture.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,832 Views)

It took a bit of digging, but the connector on the flashcard side is manufacture by Honda, Part Number RMC-E15MY-0M06-MB3 TP.  Hope this information helps! They may be able to help you find a board-mount connector that mates with it.

Matt
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,801 Views)

Dear matt W,

I assume you mean the CABLE part, not the part inside the card.  First of all, Honda Connectors doesn't have a listing of that part number, at least not on their parts search engine.  I am attempting to get a call back from them, but we'll see it that works at all.  Can't you tell me what format the plug is. Don't the engineers there keep an old tech sheet on that part on file?  I spent 4 hours trying to find some information on line. Although I found some possible references to similar parts being advertised by companies that deal in used or discontinued components, I could not find a single tech sheet on anything.  This part is a component in one of your current products, but perhaps NI doens't actually make new cable anymore of this type.

There was some vague information relating the the "RMC" (outdated) format that this might be a pcmcia type 15 pin plug with a pitch of 0.8mm. Other than that I still have zilch.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,769 Views)
Oh Great!  When googling the part number "RMC-E15MY-0M06-MB3 TP" the 2nd and third entries are both from this few-day-old thread.....that can't be a good sign. LOL
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,768 Views)
OK, finally got through to a rep from Honda - the part was discontinued years ago, and No, they no longer have tech sheets for it. I'm pretty unhappy at this point and feel like I was sold an edsel.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,764 Views)

No millonas, that connector is that part on the flash card side. This is what you requested, correct? In your first post you wrote:

“can anyone tell me what the plug on the cf-6004 is called (not the 50 pin compact flash end, the other side that face out of the pocket pc).”

But in a couple other places you wrote:

“I'd like to know the format/name of the plug that goes into the cf-6004” and “Get me the name of the plug on the OTHER end of the NI cable”

Anyways, the connector on the CABLE side of the junction is made by STARCONN. It is a PCMCIA 15 position connector and it is type A12.

Matt
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,738 Views)

Either way, they fit into each other.  Of course what I need it to make a connection to your cf-6004 card.

Anyway, as reported above the Honda part number was discontinued several years ago.  I will check for something from starcon.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,734 Views)