From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

National Instruments mDNS Responder Service

I'm having an issue recognizing a USB rack on a machine. The rack's a cDAQ-9174, and it has a NI-9401 and NI-9201 board installed. The rack was functional for a couple of weeks, but after booting it up today, it would no longer recognize the USB device. At first it still showed its details in MAX (after a very long period of search), but I think this was merely leftover information from the database. I uninstalled MAX and re-installed (using version 9.3), with no success. I uninstalled, wiped out the ProgramData/NationalInstruments and Program Files/National Instruments directories, re-installed again. The USB device is detected by Windows just fine, but it never shows up in the MAX list of devices (which is now completely empty).

I started tracing it back through previous forum posts, and it looks like the reason it's not started is because the 'NI Device Loader' service on the computer is not started. But I can't start it because it's reliant upon another service, 'National Instruments mDNS Responder Service.' When I try to start this service manually, it gives me the following error:

"Windows could not start the National Instruments mDNS Responder Service on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code -65549."

This is where I've stalled out. I've disabled the Windows Firewall, tried stopping / restarting many NI services, all to no avail. The computer is an Acer Veriton with laptop-type hardware, running Windows 7 Professional.

What's odd is, my development laptop (also Win 7 Professional) appears to show the same problem (can't get the mDNS service started, startup error code -65549). It also worked in the past with this hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 67
(14,761 Views)

Hey John,

We've ran into a few of these issues recently with mDNSResponder, and have fixed many of them for a future release of MAX. I've placed a version of mDNSResponder with these fixes on our FTP site here:

ftp://ftp.ni.com/outgoing/nimdnsResponder10766.zip

Please download this file and follow these steps:

1) Rename C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\mDNS Responder\nimdnsResponder.exe to nimdnsResponder.bak

2) Extract/copy the new nimdnsResponder.exe to that same location

3) Reboot your system

Let me know whether or not this resolves your isssue. Thanks!

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 67
(14,735 Views)

Hi Justin,

I'm also getting the -65549 error when trying to start the NI mDNS Responder Service (I'm running Win7 x64).  I tried installing mDNS Responder 1.5.0 I found in my NI-DAQmx download but that didn't fix the issue.

I wasn't able to download nimdsnResponder10766.zip as it appears to be removed from the FTP site.  Is there a way I can get the latest and greatest mDNS Responder?

Thanks,

Cooper

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 67
(14,648 Views)

Hi Cooper,

I've placed the file back up on our FTP. Please download it, go through the steps posted above, and let me know whether or not it resolves your issue. I apologize for any inconvenience... the fixes in this version of mDNS Responder will be incorporated into the next release of MAX.

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 67
(14,627 Views)

Works great!  Thanks, Justin.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 67
(14,620 Views)

The ftp link dosent work.

Where can i download the file?

I have the same problems.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 67
(14,548 Views)

Hi yezaiha,

I've reuploaded the file. It will be available for another 48 hours. Please let me know whether or not this resolves your issue. Thanks!

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 67
(14,505 Views)

Hi

Thanks for uploading the file. To bad it didnt help. I still get the:

"Windows could not start the National Instruments mDNS Responder Service on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code -65549."

error message.

Also i have this error message in the Windows Application log when booting up. 

"LabVIEW information:  Error: 404 "Not Found" for "national instruments/nimdnsresponder", file "c:/program files (x86)/national instruments/shared/ni webserver/www/national

instruments/nimdnsresponder": Can't access URL   "    

My setup is window7 profesional 64 bit. NI-Daqmx 9.3.

Im trying to connect to a cDAQ-9181. It will not show up by it self in M&A explorer. I can connect to it by manually typing in its IP. 

But then when i try to reserv it i get: 

"Another system has the chassis reserved. Overiding the reservation will abort any running tasks. Override the chassis reservation?"

I the goahead and choose yes results in :

"The chassis could not be reserved. The error report from the device driver is as follows:

Error -880705 occured at reserv Chassis"

I have tried reseting the 9181 without effect.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 67
(14,370 Views)

yezaiha

Let's first try repairing your installation of MAX. You can do this via Add or Remove Programs by selecting National Instruments Software.  

If this doesn't work, could you provide us with more information about your situation? What versions of software are you using? Can you elaborate on when you recieve the responder error and troubleshooting steps you have tried? 

Kind Regards,

Allie

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 67
(14,339 Views)

Hi Alie,

Thanks for helping. I tried the repair, didnt change anything.

As i stated in my last post i am using ni-daqmx 9.3.

Im trying do get my DAQ-9181 working in MA explorer.

The launch of the mDNS Responder Service reports the following error:

"The National Instruments mDNS Responder Service service terminated with service-specific error %%-65549." 

What possible couses are there for this error message?

Its my belife that the other problems im experiencing, unable to find my device and unable to reserv chassie, is connectet to this issue.

My next step is to change the computer all together.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 67
(14,323 Views)