From 11:00 PM CDT Friday, May 10 – 02:30 PM CDT Saturday, May 11 (04:00 AM UTC – 07:30 PM UTC), ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI9232 input test using resistance.

I am trying to measure the acceleration sensor value of PIEZOTRONICS by mounting NI9232 to the C-RIO module. I want to see the performance of this module without an acceleration sensor, but I want to see the voltage that this module receives without an acceleration sensor. Is there a way? The way I thought about it is to measure the voltage by connecting about 2.5KΩ directly. Can I do this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,181 Views)

You can, as long as you have a signal generator like a function generator. This module measures voltage from a source, a resistor being a passive element cannot be measured using this module.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,158 Views)

Should I connect it and measure it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,131 Views)

Yes, that is correct.

Make sure you're testing the module with sine signal as vibrations in real-world are composed of sines.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 4 of 5
(1,127 Views)

For a test you can test the IEPE input with a 2.5k or 2.7k resistor. (assuming 4mA supply current)

To measure the transfer function, two methods (IEPE simulators) are presented here:

https://www.ptb.de/cms/fileadmin/internet/dienstleistungen/dkd/archiv/Publikationen/Richtlinien/DKD-...

To measure noise performance, just keep in mind, that the actual IEPE circuit can damp the current source noise.. 

so the easy way for input noise tests and tranfer function: turn off the current source, but keep the high pass filter.

for current source noise the 2.5 k is the way to go.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,117 Views)